GERD, hiatal hernia, and H. pylori

Mon Feb 28 16:53:49 2000

If you have a hiatal hernia, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can mimic chest pain! This happened to me! I actually thought I was having heart problems because of the chest pain, I was having. I was very relieved to find out my heart was not involved.

However, GERD is a serious problem that requires medical attention!! When acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, this can cause scarring in the esophagus! If you are having chest pain I urge you to see your doctor!!

The following therapy was prescribed for me several years ago for both GERD and H.pylori. These drugs are available only with your doctor's prescription!

1.) Prilosec - is the brand name. Omeprazole (o-MEP-ra-zole) is the generic of Prilosec. Omeprazole is used to treat certain conditions in which there is too much acid in the stomach. It is used to treat gastric and duodenal ulcers and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), a condition in which the acid in the stomach washes back up into the esophagus.

Sometimes omeprazole is used in combination with antibiotics to treat ulcers associated with infection caused by the H. pylori bacteria (germ). Omeprazole works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

2.) Propulsid - is the brand name. Cisapride (SIS-a-pride) is a medicine that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and intestines. It is used to treat symptoms such as heartburn caused by a backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus.

3.) Metronidazole (me-troe-NI-da-zole). Flagyl is the brand name. Metronidazole is used to treat infections.

These three drugs comprised the triple therapy which helped me to finally overcome GERD and H. pylori - within about a 3 month time-frame.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: