Re: Hernias...questions and answers for those of you who have a hernia.

Mon Apr 17 12:29:06 2000

Igor, Thanks for your input about hernias! I know that this particular article was rather simplified; but I was searching for "a needle in a haystack." I did not have much information to work with; and I am not even sure if the websites, which I posted yesterday, were helpful or not to the person who had written to Bev. for help ... regarding: Abdominal TRAP Flap. Have you ever heard about that surgical procedure?

Have you ever had this problem yourself? If so, what did you do to resolve this problem?

It has been some time since you last posted messages on the IAS Message Board. I want to welcome you back!! It is so good to be able to read your responses to messages once again!! How are you doing healthwise?

```````````````````

At Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Igor Gudymenko wrote:

Helen wrote:

Perhaps some of your questions about hernias will be answered at the website(below).

What is a hernia?

What does a hernia feel like?

Why does a hernia hurt?

Who gets hernias?

Will my hernia go away?

What can I do to feel better?

Is surgery right for me?

http://www.herniainfo.com/faq.htm

````````````````

I'm afraid that info shows just the face side of the moon. So, on that page are the following statements:

5. Will my hernia go away? An untreated hernia will not get better on its own, although it may not get worse for months or even years...and

6. What can I do to feel better? Limiting activity or eliminating excess weight may provide temporary relief. Wearing a truss or binder has also offered temporary relief. The only cure, however, is surgery.

It's clear that above is just official medical point of view. I agree it's a bit simplified there but they don't give you any hope for non-surgical treatment. There are many types of hernia and not all of them are strongly recommended for operation actually.

I guess the patient must know the real reasons of his hernia. Then he'll be able to handle that situation himself. However after the operation risk of new hernia still stands.

--Igor Gudymenko

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: