Re: Advice needed

Sun Jun 25 17:09:28 2000

Hi Kathie - First let me say that I am not in the medical profession and all of this is relatively new to me also. I would like to give you a couple of URL's that I have found helpful in getting me familiar with some of the terminology and procdures. This one http://matweb.hcuge.ch/matweb/El_Mowafi/Pelvic_adhesions.htm is very lengthy and technical. I waded through the best I could though and now (after about 5 months of research) most of it is making sense to me. But I found out the hard way the importance of becoming familiar with this terms and concepts.

I know it seems like a catch-22 situation given that surgery is the only way to get rid of adhesions and what also causes them. The most important thing you can do as a patient is find a doctor who is educated in adhesions. I simply assumed mine was and it has cost me dearly. Once you are familiar with some of this lingo and you talk to your doctor (or if you are interviewing, talk to his nurse) and ask questions about whether or not s/he has had experience using barriers or gels and what brand s/he prefers; what precautionary measures are taken in the operating room to reduce the chance of glove powder residue; and what kind of solution s/he uses for rinsing the area after the procedure is done you will have them so flabbergasted they will either welcome you with open arms because you are an educated patient or they will fumble around trying to fake answers when you will know to RUN not walk to the yellow pages. Whew, it was hard getting that all out in one breath.

The most important thing right now is your concern about a possible obstruction. Take a look at this http://soltec.net/~onery1/obstruction.html if you haven't already and see if this situation applies to you. An obstruction can quickly become a life threatening situation. I don't mean to scare you and I'm hoping that once you have read them through you will have better handle on your particular situation. There is more information and links at my web site http://www.soltec.net/~onery1

Blessings Marla

PS - to answer your original question (got a bit side tracked didn't I) Yes, your current problem with BM's, bloating and rt lower quadrant pain could be due to adhesion growth. IMO

-----Original Message----- From: Kathie <kathlyn.gadd@virgin.net> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> Date: Sunday, June 25, 2000 2:21 PM Subject: Advice needed

>I had a C section 14 years ago. 10 years ago, after trying for another
>baby for two+ years, I was referred to a gynae who did a laporoscopy and
>told me that I had extensive adhesions from the C-section - so bad they
>couldn't see anything but suspected that this was the cause of my
>fertility problems. They told me that they would need to perform a
>hysterosalpingogram (sp!) to confirm this and I was then offered surgery
>to remove the adhesions. However the hysterosalpingogram seemed to have
>cleared the fallopian obstruction as I found out I had had become
>pregnant just 3 weeks before the surgery was scheduled and so it was
>cancelled. I had no further problems until about three years ago when I
>started getting what was diagnosed as colitis (bloating, abdominal pain
>etc) I am now having virtually continuous rt sided low pelvic pain -
>like some one is pulling at my insides and I have begun to have episodes
>of severe abdominal pain with constipation (the last bout lasted 24hrs
>without stopping and had me virtually doubled over the whole time unable
>to eat, sleep or do anything). My questions are - given the long period
>between my original diagnosis and the start of these symptoms, are they
>likely to be caused by the adhesions and, if they are caused by
>adhesions, can anything be done -everything on your site seems to
>suggest treatment is unavailable/pointless??
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: