Bob and Pam's Experience in Scranton, PA....

Wed Aug 9 12:09:01 2000

Pam Markford had her surgery at the NEW Adhesions Unit at Scranton, PA. With Bob's permission I am posting Bob's journal about their trip to Scranton, PA for Pam's surgery and recovery while at Scranton.

* Bob and Pam's Experience in Scranton *

This experience began with a desperate cry for help on the message board of the International Adhesion Society web site. We began to immediately receive e-mails letting us know we are not alone. Helen Dynda passed my message to Beverly Doucette.

Bev called us within 2 days and asked questions regarding Pam's history and current condition. She also spoke at length with Pam and reassured her that she was not alone in this battle. She called back and stated that Dr. Reich and Dr. Redan would be willing to help. I mailed the requested medical reports to Bev and she passed them along to the two doctors.

It began to come together with a phone contact from Lindsey, Dr. Reich's nurse, giving us a surgery date for the near future; in our case it was 4 weeks away. She said Dr. Reich had received and reviewed all of Pam's medical records. She advised that a package of information regarding the surgery was being mailed for us to read and it included the prescription for the pre-operative testing to be done and the fax numbers they are to be sent to. She also advised that Sue from bookkeeping would be calling for insurance and financial information. Sue called about 3 days later and was given the information needed.

We booked our flights in and out of Philadelphia, PA airport. It is just about a straight shot from the airport to Scranton. We arranged a rent-a-car on line with Alamo, the cheapest and easiest way to confirm one. Reservations were then made at the Clarion Hotel, and you must state you are there for surgery at thCommunity Medical Center for the discount rate of about $65.00 a night.

Seven days before we left, Pam had the pre-operative testing done and faxed to both numbers provided. We also kept a copy with us for the trip, just in case there was a mix up. We did this through our primary family physician at home.

We received E-mail from Dr. Redan asking if we had any questions. Pam was also called by the hospital for some pre-admission questioning and told the time and where to report on Monday.

We arrived in Scranton, PA Saturday afternoon. The hotel is very easy to find and located within viewing distance of the hospital. Across the street are a grocery store, Italian rest/deli, a CVS Pharmacy, and an ice cream shop. Very close by is a Laundromat, a gas station/store/deli, and a Dunkin Donuts.

The Hotel provides a very nice breakfast downstairs every morning. The rooms have a small refrigerator, a microwave oven, a coffee pot, an iron and ironing board, and a blow dryer. If you have a lap top computer the second phone has a data port and it allows phone calls to come through on the other line at the same time.

Dr. Redan came by the Hotel on Sunday and reviewed Pam's history and what the plans were for Monday. He then gave a physical exam of Pam. After he left Pam started the bowel prep prescribed in the papers from Lindsey.

We arrived at the hospital Monday morning and reported to admission and we were then taken to a room to begin getting ready for surgery. The staff is very kind and gentle and Pam headed to surgery at 7:45AM as planned. I was given a pager to notify me of when the procedure was done.

Immediately after surgery I spoke with both Dr. Reich and Dr. Redan about the surgery. I was given some color photos taken during the procedure and also a video of it.

Pam was in recovery about one hour then moved back to her original room. She stayed here for about 2-3 hours until the nurses were satisfied she was able to leave. Both Drs. visited her again in the room. She was discharged at 3:00PM and we went back to the Hotel room. She was quite uncomfortable, but that eased after filling the Rx for pain written by Dr. Redan and filled across the street.

Pam's abdomen appeared very swollen due to the fluid left during surgery as an aid to prevent re-occurrence of the adhesions. Over the course of the next 3-4 days the swelling in Pam seem to reduce by urinating and sweating.

Pam rested and slept, off and on during the day and took short walks around the beautiful, flowered grounds of the hotel. She slowly became stronger and having only a "healing pain" as she called it. Dr. Redan stopped by a couple of times checking on her progress.

We ventured out some days for drives in the mountains and also to the nearby park around Lake Scranton. There we found a beautiful walking trail that was shaded and cool. The hard part is not to go too far, remembering you have to walk back.

After our arrival home we saw our primary physician and reviewed her operative reports, which were sent to him; and he did the follow up care and released her for work at the end of 3 weeks. The hardest thing for Pam was not to do too much, too fast.

Everyone we met in Scranton was courteous and friendly. The airport personnel are very helpful on the flights if you ask for assistance with a wheel chair to make things easier on the patient.

If you have access to a laptop computer, I suggest you take it and send updates to loved ones back home and let them contact those without computers. This limits phone calls and interrupted sleep.

The scenery is breathtaking, at least for us from flat, mountain less Florida. There are plenty of places to walk including a mall downtown. Walking is an important part of the healing process we found, just as much as resting. You may be very sore for up to a week, depending how extensive your adhesions were.

The doctors will explain the full extent of your surgery to you. It cannot be compared to a laparoscopic patient who just had a gall bladder or appendix removed. You may even have some leakage of fluids from the incision sites and this is normal. But you do improve a little each day...until next thing you know, you are back to your old self!

When I posted our desperate story on the web site, it ended up being the best move I had ever done in the caring for my wife. As of today she is back with that smile and laugh that I so desperately missed.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: