Re: Surgery & Smokers

Sun Aug 13 11:05:26 2000

OH Robin, I do feel for you. First of all you have the surgery on your mind, then you have the pain, and on the top of that you have to quit smoking. I know there is pressure every where you turn your head. Quitting smoking is the best you can do, but from my point of view - try to quit while you are in PA especially with your husband quitting also will make the trip, the surgery, and both of you on each other's nerves. My husband and I tried to quit TOGETHER with no surgeries going on we were at each others throats. Don't get me wrong we do love each other - but it was a horrible site with the both of us quitting. Both my husband and I started smoking when smoking was cool, and there were no warnings on how dangerous it was to smoke. Now, of course there are ads everywhere how dangerous it is to smoke. It's harder for us to quit. Please, don't get me wrong, I know I have to quit and I know it is better for people for us in our condition to quit. I just understand how hard it is to quit. Your husband will be going nuts when you are in surgery and probably buy a pack of butts. Every since I went and had surgery last month in PA and was told by Dr. Redan himself, if he knew I smoked he would not perform surgery on me - now I am on the road to recovery and then I will quit smoking with the help of doctors. Smoking and quitting are really serious things. There are such things as major withdrawal from the nicotine. We can get emails on places where we can check out where to quit smoking - but the thing we have to remember in the back of our heads is - how long we have been smoking and the withdrawals your body will be going through. Maybe try to not have a cigarette after your surgery and see how long you last and call your local doctor right away for help. I don't know Robin. I don't mean to be your support because I do know what you are going through. I don't mean to make your decision harder than what it is. You and your husband know what is best for you. I wanted you to know you are not alone in your situation. I wish the best of luck to you! Let me know how you do. ~Chrissie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: