Leg Numbness After Laparaoscopy

Thu Aug 24 09:11:49 2000

In December 98, I went to the ER with excruciating lower abdomen pain on my left side. I was x-rayed and was told to have had a kidney stone on my RIGHT side. They gave me demerol and I went home. I followed up with a Urologist. He didn't help much, because the pain was sporatic and sharp. I went to my primary who referred me to a Gastroenterologist. I had a colonoscopy and a barium enema. No results there. The pain still persisted. I went to the hospital's radiology dept. for an sonogram, no dice. I went to my Gynecologist, I had an ultrasound, still no signs of tumors, fibroids, cysts, etc. So, I went back to my primary and they said that there was nothing more they could do. I went back to the Gynecologist in March 1999 and he scheduled a laparaoscopy in April 1999. He made the incision and found NOTHING. No endometriosis, no fibroids, no disease, but 2 inch adhesion near my Caesarean incision. He cut me in the same area near where my complaints were originally and went after the adhesions. When I came to after the surgery, I told him that I felt numb. I couldn't feel my left leg. He replied, "it's probably the anesthesia, I will call you tomorrow when it wears off". He called the next day, I told him, I don't feel my left leg. It's asleep. He said, "give it more time, I will see you in 14 days to check on that and your stiches". I saw him on the 14th day and my leg was and still is in August 2000 numb. He told me that "you need to see a chiropractor, I think that you have a pinched nerve". I go back to my primary and request a chiropractor, he says, "no". I will send you to the neurology dept at the hospital for a nerve conduction study. This test was negative. I requested an EMG. I had an EMG. It too was negative. I went back to primary, they took x-rays of my back. Negative spinal issues, disks problems, or pinched nerves. I request to see another Neurologist. I saw a Neurosurgeon who had me walk across the floor on my toes. I couldn't make 5 steps without help. He prescribes Motrin. I called my primary, he refers me to another Neurologist. This Neurologist performed more extensive tests like, sensory somata, another EMG, and another nerve conduction. Still negative. He prescribes Neurontin. I don't take it because of no guarantees. I complain again. I change primary doctors. I get another Neurologist. Another EMG. The results are the same. Where do I go? What do I do? I am 31 years old. I can't ride a bike. I can't ride in a car for long periods. I can't hold my 4 year old on my lap. My leg goes completely asleep while in bed. I can't just hop up and go to the bathroom or get out of bed. I have to ensure myself that my leg is still there. Sex is not long lasting (on my part) :-). Anyway, I am miserable.

My primary is convinced that it's in my hed. His last words, "I will refer you to an acupuncturist". Anybody out there can help?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: