In Re: What can a Physical Therapist Do for You??

Thu Aug 24 21:28:34 2000

Hi, My insurance required that I see a physical therapist for "deep pelvic massage & myofasial release". I talked with a woman I knew who is the director of the physical therapy department at the hospital where I used to work. She is the director and also holds and MBA in PT. She was willing to do this and I had a total of 9 treatments. Let me tell you...it hurt! She went really deep and said that she could feel adhesions. After I got no relief, she suggested that we not go on and didn't try to get any more visits authorized, her suggestion was a laparoscopy and lysis of adhesions. I had the lap and it was negative. I received my reports the other day so that I could send all of the laps that I had to another doctor. I was shocked, hurt and very upset. My gyn surgeon, whom I have trusted for a number of years along with the general surgeon who I requested also consult on the lap both had in the report that they saw no adhesions and due to respiratory embarrassment and high pressures in the deep trendelenberg position they could not get a better view..so alot of the pelvic area, mainly the area where I have the pain could not be viewed. They also stated that the view was "very limited" with the 5mm scope that they were using. So, I feel that they didn't try hard enough to find the source of the pain. I might add that my gyn surgeon had found moderate to severe thick vascular adhesions on 2 prior laps and moderate adhesions on other laps along with severe endometriosis in the left ovary (which has been removed). So, you see, I have gone every route to get rid of this, but in retrospect, the physical therapy was not a bad idea..I even had heat and ultrasound which seemed to "burn" and the therapist felt that it was breaking up the adhesions. She was shocked to learn that the lap was negative, as was my PCP. But, I would recommend anyone try the therapy as it was not a total waste of time.

--
Connie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: