Re: - Having a Oxycontin problem

Mon Oct 9 20:30:02 2000

Last June (99) I had to come off of taking Vicodin 7.5 after my surgery for adhesions. I still took the meds for about 1 1/2 weeks for surgery pain. Which was 1/2 of what I had been taking before surgery. Then, I had to start taking 1/2 a pill at a time to start cutting back. I was having head aches, from the withdrawls. I think I got off them kinda fast, it took me 2 weeks to get off of them. I still kept about 4 pills in the bottle just in case I needed them. Just remember, you are not alone, We have been there, & we are here for you now. Robin

At Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Kath Findlay wrote: >
>Dear chrissy,
>I have had 5 operations to separate Adhesions. Which means I have had to come of narcotic drugs, after long term use ( minimum 1 year ) and what I have learned from this, is that you can't just stop using the meds because you have had, your surgery. It stands to reason that your body will still crave them for a time. My doctor advised me to cut them down slowly. Try taking 3/4 of the amount you normally take for a few days and then take 1/2 the dose for a few days, and then 1/4. Then cut that down until you don't need it anymore. If you try and stop too quickly, when your body is still dependant. You will suffer withdrawal symptoms, feeling sick, hot, sweating and sometimes light headed. (dizzy) These symptoms are normal for someone taking long term medication, and I am sure if you tell your local Doctor about your symptoms. Tell him that you want to come of them gradually, and ask him for more meds ( perhaps he could give you a lower dosage) to keep you going for a little longer.
>You have suffered enough with the pain of adhesions. You don't have to suffer, from being forced to come of your medication to quickly. It can take any thing from 0 to 3 months depending on how long you have been taking the medication.
>
>Good luck Chrissie, As I said before I have been in this position 5 times and I find this is the best way to get through it. I will do it this way the next time.
>Kath Findlay UK (United Kingdom)

--
Robin

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: