Zoe The Miracle of Birth even with adhesions

Mon Oct 9 20:55:49 2000

Hi Zoe, Thanks for your letter. You asked about my pregnancies while having adhesions. I tried for 11years before having my son Kris. I had severe adhesions due to burst ovarian cysts. I had lots of tests done. My tubes blown, laperotomyies systoscopies etc. My left ovary and could not be found. At the time they told me I must have had it removed. I kept telling them I still had it, and every time I had a test they said it was missing. I was told that my chances of conceiving were small. I was advised several times to have a hysterectomy. I was told it would cure all my problems. My need for a child was strong that I just had to keep on going. All my cysts were on my right ovary and I had part of this removed when I was 18 years old. Then I was told 5 years ago. Guess what we found your left ovary it was wrapped up in your bowel. This means I conceived with half an ovary and the other wrapped up in my bowel.

Only you can make this decision. I just know for me, I wanted so much to be a mother that I had no control over it. If they had told me, if you have a baby you will die next week. I would still have done it. I never thought about any dangers and I wasn't told of any dangers. I had a lot of miscarriages and a still birth before Kris was born but I was told that it was because My womb was tilted and I was very small.

Kris was born at 26 weeks and only weighed 25oz ( 700g ) a normal birth is 40 weeks. That was 21years ago. Premature births have come a long way since then. When I was 20 weeks pregnant, I was given an amniocentesis test. I was told it was on the border line for spina bifida. I was asked if I would like an abortion, they gave us two weeks to decide if we wanted a termination or not. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life. As you can see it was the right one. I just couldn't do it, and I'm glad I didn't. He is very healthy and is at present studying Applied physics and computing, at university in Edinburgh . I thank God every day for him, He is a really nice person and nothing is too much trouble for him.

After Kris, I was advised again to have a hysterectomy. I tried to adopt but it was too difficult. So after 4years I decided to get pregnant again. When I was carrying Jemma I started to miscarry, at 12 weeks. I was taken into hospital and given a suture to keep her in. I went home after 1 week. I could do any thing any normal person could do. I went into labour 3 weeks early. That was 17 years ago. Jemma is also at university in Edinburgh she is studying accountancy and finance. I love my children so much, I feel so lucky, they have turned out to be two well balanced young people and if I had to do it all over again I would. Hospitals are much more advanced now than they were then, especially if you live in London.

I have never told anyone this before Zoe, but, Just before I gave birth to Kris I was really scared, it was three weeks before Christmas and I was decorating the tree which was in the window. I sat down on the settee opposite the tree. I had a silver star and a fairy. I Could not make up my mind which one would look best on top of the tree. When I looked up at the top of the tree, outside in the sky, was a large bright star. It was right ontop of the tree. Oh GOD! I said if you really are there, then make my baby be born at Christmas, and make him well. Kris was born on Christmas Eve. Maybe this was just a coincidence. Who knows. I am not a very religious person, but they say God is there for you you just have to ask. I believe he helped me.

Take care of yourself I hope things work out for you. Just one last thing. I finally had the hysterectomy that they assured me would cure all my problems. It lasted about 4 years and then the adhesion pain came back, worse than ever.

PS Zoe do you know anyone else in the UK that has Adhesions, can you ask your Doc. I was thinking of setting up a web page to find out how many more there are in Britain.

Love Kath Findlay

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: