Re: Uterosacral nerve ablation

Fri Dec 29 17:17:48 2000

I have always had severe pain in my low back/hip/left leg with my adhesions and endo. I had severe endo on my uterosacral ligaments and they were excised. From reading this am realizing that area may have a lot of nerve endings, which may be causing the severe pain and bowel symptoms I have.

I am scheduled for lap surgery on Feb. 1 to find out what is going on in there. I also have heard people mention the pain in their backs from adhesions and wonder if anyone out there knows what this is caused by. I have had total hyst, with much left ovary/bowel and cervix/bowel involvement, as well as bladder & ureter adhesions & endo. Would this procedure help me in my search for lessened daily pain & symptoms?

thanks, suzanne

At Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Helen Dynda wrote: >
>Uterosacral nerve ablation
>
>This is a photo taken during laparoscopy of a uterosacral nerve ablation. This controversial procedure involves burning ( either by laser or by a bipolar device as is shown here ) the ligaments that attach the uterus to the sacrum (part of the pelvic bone). In this photo a bipolar cautery device is grasping the right uterosacral ligament as it joins the uterus. If you look closely, you can see where the tissue is already starting to turn white just above and below the bipolar device. This technique is controversial because some medical studies show that it works well for treating "central" pain, that is, pain with deep intercourse and pain in the center of the pelvis. However, other studies show that it does not work that well. Still other studies show that it only works for a short period of time. Thus, more research is needed.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: