Scar Tissue/Adhesions Question

Sun Jan 7 21:22:33 2001

I am hoping someone can answer a question regarding scar tissue/adhesions. I had a laparoscopy done to repair an umbilicus hernia. Since the surgery, I have had left upper quandrant pain (rib area). Laparoscopy incision is 6 inches on the left side of the umbilicus. After a year of continuing and increasing pain (tightness of muscles) I went to see my surgeon. I would have swore something was left in me or a rib was broke. A CAT scan was done which showed angulation of the peritoneum which he says is nothing. I started physical therapy because I am told it is scar tissue/adhesions. But when I try to find information regarding this, I find information about organ adhesions. I am told my problem is not organ adhesions but fascia and muscle adhesion. Which I don't understand because the pain is 3 to 4 inches above laparoscopy incision and radiates to the left of it. I have been in physical therapy for 4 months (2x weekly), wear a TENS unit daily, and have a series of stretching exercises that I do daily. Although the pain has decreased somewhat, it is always there and I think the physical therapy is only temporarily giving some relief. The physical therapist I have states we have come to a plateau. I don't know what to do. Even the PT has given up. I am becoming frustrated and depressed as I think there may be more going on but can't find any answers and I feel that I am going to have to live the rest of my life with this. Can anyone inform me whether there is a test to show scar tissue/adhesions? Would an MRI show scar tissue/adhesions. Has anyone experienced anything like this? How was it cured? I hope someone can help direct me. Not sure where to turn to.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: