Re: ?'s about adhesions(please help)

Mon Jan 8 20:31:53 2001

Hi Wendy:

I read your posting and thought you might like to know about my history. I had a ruptured appendix 3 yrs ago that went undiagnosed for 1 week. Also diagnosed with chronic appendicitis since I have had pain in my right side periodically over the last 25 years with many laparoscopies, etc without diagnosis. Anyway, the surgery was life-threatening because of infection. The incision was left open to heal for 3 months, with visiting nurses to pack the wound twice a day. After a tough recovery I had back spasms and PT and chiropractor helped somewhat. The surgeon told me that everything was stuck to the back of my pelvis.

In June of 2000 I had severe pain in the right side again and vomiting. I had a CT scan and it showed a very large growth. The gyn thought it was ovarian CA and operated (laparotomy) on July 10th. It turned out to be a large cyst of adhesions. The bladder, bowel, uterus, and pelvic wall were stuck together forming a "ball" that was filled with fluid. The right ovary and fallopian tube were inside of the adhesion "ball". The surgeon did not know how to separate the organs and just drained the fluid (over 450cc). I had pain return in 2 wks, the fluid reformed. I had problems with that incision healing, infection, needed home nurses again and the doctor told me to live with the pain because no surgeon would touch me with a 10 foot pole.

That is when I found this web site. Thank God and all of the people who give information here. I had laparoscopic surgery with Dr. Redan in Scranton on November 22nd and he was able to separate (lyse) all of the adhesions, thereby removing the "pseudocyst" as he called it and no more fluid build up. I wonder if you have the same type of thing going on? Dr. Redan emailed me right away after I asked him if he ever heard of a fluid build up. He said that it is very common to have a "pseudocyst" form after a ruptured appendix. Also adhesions form easily because of the trauma and infection.

My pain is gone. I only have slight discomfort from the surgery that is relieved with Tylenol or rest. I am returning to work on Jan 16th after being off since July.

Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to let you know that this has happened to other people. I am sure you will get the necessary information from the people at this site. Good luck and keep up posted.

--
Kathy L.

At Mon, 8 Jan 2001, wendy wrote: > >Thanks for responding, the adhesions were due to an appendectomy that i >had about 10 years ago. My gyn also stated that she could tell that I >had an infection also related to that surgery, in which I did. > >At Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Janet Karam wrote: >> >>Hi Wendy...Glad you found the site...I am thanking God every day that I have >>found it, as I searched for almost 2 years with no luck. >> >>Were the adhesions your doc found due to a post-surgical procedure, or >>endemetriosis? >> >>There lots of helpful information on this site. You can go to the >>archivesfor research...you can make search inquiries at the bottom of the >>message board page...enter adhesions, or endemetriosis, or adhesiolysis for >>example, and you will find alot! Also you may find it helpful to read >>through the personal stories on the Adhesion Quilt if you haven't already >>done so. >> >>I'd be glad to help in any way...let me know. >> >>Janet

>>>----- Original Message ----- >>From: "wendy" <anonymous@medispecialty.com> >>To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> >>Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 9:49 AM >>Subject: ?'s about adhesions(please help) >> >>> I just recently had a laproscopy done and my gyn found alot of adhesions >>> mainly on my right side. I was curious to know more about this >>> condition and what the possible treatment is. >>>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: