Re: Hello Everyone

Fri Jan 19 13:08:04 2001

On 19 Jan 2001, at 13:32, Linda Beebe wrote:

> HI ya'll
>
> I'm better today, calmer, and many of you and your kind emails helped me
> get that way after yesterdays disappointing visit to the doctor.
> Today I set up an appointment with an internist, to take care of the
> medicines I take and my arthritis.
> An important step to my survival here :-)

Dear Linda,

I'm glad you're feeling better. I always feel better when I can take hold and make some positive plans to cope with my illnesses.

Two good things I have done are exactly what you are doing: I found an internist to "take charge" of my medical records and keep things clarified. She is also a rheumatologist and treats my arthritis. I like her and she respects me. I have a place to touch base.

The second thing is working with a psychiatrist who deals with people with chronic illness. It is her speciality. She prescribed celexa for depression and pain, and she is my biggest champion when I begin to question whether this pain is real or not.

Don't be discouraged if you don't find a counselor right away who understands chronic pain -- just hunt around until you do.

I'm sorry you ran into a dickhead who doesn't understand pain . . . just remember that you or your insurance company won't be paying him anything more. He needs you a heck of a lot more than you need him -- medicine is very much about marketing these days. This little thought always cheers me.

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: