Re: Need advice on bladder operation

Sat Feb 17 17:48:47 2001

Helen,

I just got the opportunity to read this message. I have had tremendous problems with my bladder due to ARD. While I have not had the particular surgery you are discussing I would strongly suggest that you NOT proceed with the surgery until you investigate it further. I myself went through the bladder augmentation procedures twice. Knowing what I know now....if they had taken care of the adhesions instead of messing with the bladder I might still have a bladder. I might have not undergone 26 laparotomies since 1991 and I might not need the two major surgical procedures that I need soon. I also might not have come so extremely close to dying this past July.

Doctors will tell you anything other than the fact that adhesions can and do regularly cause bladder problems and that by taking care of the adhesions you can eliminate the need to mess with your bladder. They make their money by doing these surgeries...heck if I had just had my adhesions properly taken care of I wouldn't have paid my surgeon's entire retirement plan!

Please really consider what you are about to do. Feel free to contact me.

--
Karla

> ----- Original Message ----- From: Helen Gibson To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 2:11 AM Subject: Need advice on bladder operation

Hi to everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has had major bladder problems with ARD.

I have been suffering from urge incontience/unstable bladder and now my Urologist says that my final option is to have a operaiton called a Bladder Auto-Augmentation/ Detrusor Myectomy. The process is they go vaginally and slice the detrusor muscle to stop the bladder from contracting so much, thats the basics of it anyway. This operation is not to be confused with the larger op of bladder augmentation, where they removal part of the intestines to build a new portion of the bladder, but that my be what they will have to do if this op does'nt work, apparently the op that I am having onlly has a 50/50 chance of working or stoping the bladder contractions. Anyway I was wondering if anybody out there has had the op that I'm going to have or knows of anybody that has had this operation. The benefits of this operation is that they don't have to open you up and my adhesions won't be affected ( I hope!). My operation is booked in for the 6th march and I am trying to find out as much about it as possible. I've read a fair bit on the net about it, but there are varying opinons about it's success rate for unstable bladders like mine.

On a different note, Toni I know what you mean about your husband switching off, When I told my husband, Mark that I would have to go in for bladder surgery he went really quiet and did'nt know what to say. He hates to see me the way I am and does'nt know how to deal with it anymore, He's a great guy and we love each other deeply, he just feels really useless with the way my health is. I know he cares, it's just his way of dealing with it.

Love

Helen G

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: