Re: TOO AFRAID TO SPEAK

Mon Mar 12 10:29:10 2001

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>On 12 Mar 2001, at 10:00, Hchalm@aol.com wrote:

<color><param>8000,0000,FF00</param><FontFamily><param>Comic Sans MS</param>If you look today, you will see new members asking for the names of qualified  surgeons, Whose names would you give?

Helen,

I would give no names since I am not sure what "qualified" means. I would urge women to ask their surgeons about their experience, what their criteria were for choosing patients, and why they thought they might help them.

But I wouldn't give out names. In a private e-mail I might tell about a doctor that helped me personally or someone in my family that I knew well, but I wouldn't give out a name of a doctor who had not treated me or my family.

"Qualified" means lots of things. Until we define the term, we can't proceed with making recommendations.

In my city, the medical society will only provide a choice of several names when asked for a referral. The same is true of the helpline at the hospital.

I think we should consider very carefully using doctors' names on the website or this list.

Kate

<nofill>

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: