Re: To Sally

Tue May 29 10:07:41 2001

Hi Sally --

I hope you are having a decent day today, that the animals were quiet last night and that your husband is truly helping. Sounds like you are having a case of the "what if's," what if you hadn't had the first surgery, what if then you would never have had any trouble, what if you had a long and pain-free life.

I learned a poem as a child, can't remember the author...it is called "If."

"If the world were if's and and's, And if the sea were ink, And if the land were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?"

Makes me thirsty to read it. I never understood it as a child and am not sure I do now. I think the point is, if it isn't one thing, it's another though...the "what if's" lead you around and around in circles. When you stop to see where you are, you are in the same place you started except maybe deeper down from the rut worn into the ground underneath.

If you are able to concentrate long enough to read, there are two books I have found helpful in dealing with the "what if's." Because of my personality type, I am prone to them, too. They are Anthony Robbins "Awaken the Giant Within," and Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." Honestly I never would have brought these books home in the first place but I had to read them for one of my psychology classes.

The nice thing about them is, you don't have to read from cover to cover although Covey's book makes more sense if you do. Robbins' book is like a cheesecake to me, I could only read a little here and there without getting overcome with nausea. :) I've seen the guy on late-night tv selling his products, and think he is really creepy. Pollyanna on steroids. I'm sure he is a nice man, he seems to have helped a lot of people. TV makes people look different than they do in real life, too perfect and surreal.

Anyway, there is good stuff in both books, things that help with the "what if's" and so forth.

Whatever you do today, know that we care and you are one day closer to being pain-free. It will happen!!!! Hang in there!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

In a message dated 05/28/2001 10:34:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time, lostcst@mcn.org writes:

<< Dear Lynda, Thank you, very person that cares helps me to be less ********.Anyway, all of my past surgeries have led to other surgeries and If I had not had the first one, I would have lived or died but I wouldn't be in

agony. I might have lived a long natural life. So I question my own judgement, but I have to do something, I think. See, the doubt is there. Thanks again, Love, Sally >>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: