Lynda - My place and my visualisation tecnique

Thu Jun 7 08:18:48 2001

Hi ya Lynda!

:-) I love the idea of a polyanna outfit...mmmm better get me one of them too! I used to love that story as a kid!

At Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Lgapmon@aol.com wrote:

>Sitting by a river on a grassy bank sounds heavenly. I'm so glad you got to
>have some friends over! Sounds like you all had fun. Do you live near a
>river? It sounds lovely. We are close to the Verde River, which is an
>offshoot of the Little Colorado. Here, our rivers are mostly dry 2/3 the
>year. Too, we have cactus and mesquite trees poking up out of clay or dirt
>banks. Not quite the same romantic image that grass and water present. <G>

We are very lucky to live in the oldest inland city in New South Wales, where the Macquarie River divides our town in half. The river banks closest to town were a part of a conservation program during Australia's bicentennery. We now have wonderful sweeping grassed areas running down to the banks of the river, with lots of native trees. My favourite is the Ghost gum, it's trunk is beautiful, a whitish creamy colour that touches into a greyish pink. The contrast between the trunk and the dusty green leaves is why I love these trees so much. The river looks more like a creek most of the year, but doesn't run dry.

There is a bicycle track that runs around both sides of the river and crosses over at the old Dennison bridge which is only used for foot traffic these days. We used to ride our bikes along these paths when the girls were little, stopping to feed the wild ducks and other birds.

Actually we are experiencing a rather dry season, and it is bringing a lot of wild life closer to town. We've recently had an odd Kangaroo hopping around the streets.*g* a bit lost! The local newspaper mentioned that even emu's have been spotted close to town too.

We are very fortunate to live up above the Macquarie Valley and from the windows of each of the front rooms we have sweeping views of the valley & river and in the background we can see the Blue Mountains. They are called the blue mountains because of the fumes given off by the Eucalyptus trees covering them. These fumes create a blue haze from a distance.

I don't have much of a garden yet because both Shane & I have been to ill to worry about it since we moved in three years ago. So we pay someone to come & cut the weeds & grass every now & again. The weeds are rather pretty & have a purple flower, but they are poisonous to cattle & horses & it is called Pattersons Curse. *G* So when people ask me about the garden I tell them we have "manicured Patterson's Curse" *G*.

As for my hips....the dislocation wasn't corrected until I was walking, I was 18mnths old & still remember the full body plaster I had to wear for many months. The doctors told my parents that I would develop arthritis in the hip joints probably by the time I was 30, well Lynda I'm 38 in October and no Arthritis so far! (Touch wood) Just this other disease that won't get much worse (so far so good) so all in all, I consider myself as doing better than expected :-) They had predicted the need for hip replacements, obviously knowing what I know now.....that will wait until the absolute end! :-)

>I practice visualization techniques and would love to hear what you do, or
>what you might recommend. They have been enormously useful in getting me
>through the darkest moments. Finding that little bit of peace inside,
>knowing it is always there no matter how many layers of pain are over
>it...that's really a good feeling.

I developed this technique myself while pregnant with our youngest daughter. By that time, (I believe it was the adhesions causing the problems...the doctors disagree) I was pretty ill, and was hospitalized on and off throughout the pregnancy for pain control. I couldn't take any pain tablets so I had to find other ways to cope.

I have a favourite beach on the south coast called "Bombo" it is a wild place with huge waves pounding onto a long stretch of beach. It is trecherous and a favourite for surf board riders. I grew up spending my school holidays there with my Aunt and Grand Parents, walking along that beach was one of my favourite activities. My children also love the beach and they too think about it when they are distressed.

I believe that we all have a favourite place we like to visit. It could be ontop of a tall building if you lived in a city, or a place that has a good view of the setting sun. When we love these places, we can soak up the atmosphere and committ it to memory.

When I need "Bombo" I find a quiet place, for me reclining is best. I then start to block out all the noises, smells and feelings around me, try to forget that I am reclining in that room, in my minds eye I see the beach. I recall the memory by pretending I am about to describe it to someone.

Then I concentrate on a particular feature, for me I am looking down at the clean yellow sand under my feet, then I am walking and I recall how the sand feels under me, am I in the dry sand? or am I closer to the waves, with hard wet sand under my feet? What does the sand sound like? The dry squeaky sound or is it the slappy splashy sound. Then I start to hear the roar of the waves as they get closer to the shore, then the crashing and boombing of the breakers, the sounds get loader and loader. Its about this time I can smell that wonderful salty smell, that can be a bit fishy sometimes. I can feel the sun on my face and on my back and I feel at peace. I am in my favourite place, I am safe and I am happy.

Lynda I know that beach so well, that I can walk from one end of it to the other in my mind...and if I am lucky I can COMPLETELY block out my pain for up to an hour. Our bodies are amazing things, and even an hours rest from pain can make so much difference to how we cope for the rest of the day.

I'm including a link, which shows a photo of Bombo Beach, but it isn't the best I've seen Lynda, but it will give you an idea. http://web.1earth.net/~kiama/tour/destinations/bombo.htm

wow! LOL I think this is my longest post yet! *giggle* I wonder if anyone will finish reading it :-)

Here's to a pain free future for us all

love,hugs & cheers, Jo :-)

--
Words that I live by:
"You will never never know.......if you don't give it a go" :)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: