Nice to meet you all

Thu Jun 28 10:56:02 2001

Hi, I recently had the pleasure of accidently coming across this message board whilst doing a casual web search on adhesions. And boy am I glad I did! My husband and I sat glued to the monitor, tears in the corners of my eyes and a kind of relief filling me. I guess all of us with adhesions go through it, but I felt so alone in my pain. Reading people telling of their pain, so similar to my own and hearing of others frustration and anguish has made me feel like I am not alone in this, there are many of us all fighting with the same demon. I rang my best friend and almost shouted into the phone that I had found the most amazing site. That I had read stories saying almost the exact same thing I had been feeling for so long. Sorry to sound so mushy, I realise none of you really know me at all but this is the first glimmer of light I have had in my dark world for a long time. All of a sudden here in front of me are a group of strong battlers who would know exactly how I am feeling without me seeking for words to try and explain it. I guess I should give you all a quick run down on who I am and why I am here. My name is Amanda, I am a 27 year old female. I live in Brisbane, Australia and am married to a terrific guy named Frank. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 6 years old and when I was 9 I had my large intestine surgically removed, followed by a number of other surgeries. A number of years later when I was 21 I had a hysterectomy (leaving both ovaries). Two years ago I started get a large amount of pain in the right side of my abdomen, ultrasound showed a growing cyst, I was taken to surgery days later to have it removed. They found out it was to be no simple ovary removal. They discovered the cause of my pain was not only a cyst but a large quantity of adhesions. They removed the ovary, closed up and then I went home. Months later I got that same pain on my left side. Another cyst on the left ovary. Although the cyst was only small they could not figure out why I was getting so much pain, surgery a number of days later explained why... adhesions. It took them many hours in surgery to remove the ovary as it was bound by adhesions to my bladder wall and end of my small intestine.Both ovary removals resulted in a large incision having to be made, to get around the adhesions to the source of the problem. The surgeon actually apologised to myself and Frank for leaving the surgery for days like he did. He said that he had no idea about the severity of adhesions inside of me and was stunned by the pain I had shakily dealt with. Two months after surgery was when the pain really kicked in. It came and went and I lived with it..with the help of codeine (which I can't take anymore as it makes me sick). About a year ago it got worse and hasn't settled since, it just gets worse, never better. Some days I find it a real chore to get out of bed. I walk down the hallway to the study and by the time I get there my abdomen is distended and hard as a rock. Pain shoots across my back, in my abdomen and down to my groin area. The pain when I pee, well I am sure you can imagine and god help me if I move the wrong way. I am very lucky to have an understanding doctor who supports me and helps me in anyway he can. He has me on methodone at the moment. But I am going to see him tomorrow morning as the methodone is no longer getting on top of the pain for me. Sometimes it dulls it but within an hour or two it is back, full blown. I am also really lucky to have a supportive husband and a group of online friends, a gaming group called CoFR made up of 500+ members. Anyway I hope I haven't bored you all to death with my story. I apologise for it being so long but I wanted to share with you all who I am and how I have come to be here and also my thoughts on what an amazing group of people you all come across as :) You all have so much pain and yet the support you offer each other, the smiles and happy cameraderie is truely a wonderful thing to see.

Best Wishes and Keep Smiling, Mandii

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: