what little I know about Crohn's and thyroid problems

Sun Jul 1 12:18:17 2001

Hi Karen --

It's great to hear from you! Glad that you found another vehicle. You've had a pretty rough time lately so I don't blame you for not wanting to drive right now. No, a month on the beaches of Tahiti sounds like a better idea. When do we start? <G>

I know only a little about Crohn's disease and thyroid problems. People with Crohn's often have more pain on the right side. The disease has many of the same symptoms of IBS. The inflammation of the intestine is greater in Crohn's, however. There is a web site with pretty good information on it here:

<A HREF="http://www.allsands.com/Health/Diseases/treatmentforcr_xpd_gn.htm"> Click here: Treatment for crohns disease</A>

Also, results from a preliminary search I did on AOL are here:

<A HREF="http://www.gnusands.com/credit_card.htm">Click here: AOL Search: Search Results for "crohn's disease"</A>

As for thyroid problems, I've been hyperthyroid for years. There are tests the doctors can run to determine why the thyroid gland is over-reactive -- producing too much thyroid hormone, i.e. I never had them done because the treatment is the same, no matter what the cause. So I guess I figured, in my case, why bother to find out the reason.

The reasons thyroids go hyperactive usually are due either to a virus that irritated the thyroid gland enough to set it into high-gear, or to an underlying autoimmune problem such as Hashimoto's disease. If the thyroid becomes hyperactive due to autoimmune problems, generally there are other problems that arise -- such as Crohn's disease. Treatment for hyperactive thyroids amounts to destroying the gland or removing it completely. My problem is relatively minor so we've left it alone.

FWIW my thyroid probably will swing the other way over time, and I would then have hypothyroidism. This is due to damage from the gland working too hard for so long. I'll worry about that tomorrow <G>.

If you destroy or remove the thyroid gland, then it is necessary to take thyroid replacement pills such as Synthroid or L-thyroxine. Achieving the right amount of hormone is an on-going process, with the dosage needing to be tweaked here and there.

When the thyroid gland is not working properly or is absent, one feels sluggish, cold, tired, is prone to weight gain and hair loss. When one has too much thyroid hormone, either due to oral dosing being a little high or the gland itself being hyperactive, symptoms include rapid heart beat, weight loss, dry hair and an internal sense of doom, constant anxiety. Stomach problems! Stress. Hot flashes unlike those related to estrogen.

Maybe if you get your thyroid situation handled, your stomach problems will diminish greatly. And maybe, then, you will no longer be anxious about driving, e.g. On days my thyroid is going 1,000 mph, I can't even stand being in my own skin, I'm so tense. Then the next day it won't be so dramatic and I will feel a whole lot better. I'm betting that will be the case with you.

Being hypothryoid has its drawbacks, such as anxiety, rapid heart beat and increased risk for stroke. BUT it has its benefits too -- such as being able to eat Ben & Jerry's ice cream every night at bed time and not gaining any weight. <G> There's always a silver lining.

I hope your doctor is able to help you get back "in balance." Meanwhile I'm thinking about you and hoping today is a very, very good one!! Take care and feel better soon!

Love,

Lynda M. in AZ

"It was involuntary; they sank my boat." - John F. Kennedy, when asked how he'd become a hero

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: