Collette

Sun Sep 2 11:49:36 2001

Dear Collette,

I know how tough a decision this is. My aunt had alzheimer's and we had to make the decision that she would rather die with dignity than go on as an unthinking, unfeeling vegetable. I also have medical power of attorney since she has alzheimer's also. But, she filled out a medical directive before she got too bad and that shows her wishes for no 'extraordinary means of support' and that includes feeding tubes. We do not yet have to worry about it because she is still somewhat functional, but I know in the future I will have a fight on my hands to do what she wanted because some of my siblings as well as one of my aunts don't agree.

I know this is a sensitive subject and one that involves a lot of soul searching and prayer. You have to weigh your father's quality of life and what you believe he would want. I believe that dying with dignity is a right that the medical profession pretty much wants to ignore. To most of them death is a failure and their enemy because they want to stave it off at all costs. Maybe they need to review the part of their that says to first do no harm. I feel that keeping someone's heart and lungs going without any soul left is a travesty.

I hope I have not affended anyone. It is only my views on the subject and I respect everyone's right to have their own opinions.

love, hugs and respect, kcmo rose

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: