Re: Robyne?

Sun Sep 9 19:15:55 2001

Thank you....I would so appreciate hearing. I, too, have been down that mental health road. Only at one point I was accused of doing things to myself....Munchausen's Syndrome. Finally I had a doctor who understood why each and every thing happened to me the way it did...and he sat down and explained it to all the physicians who cared for me. Unfortunately though, once people stick a label on you it periodically comes back to haunt you. I was given that label because my doctors asked me if I had wanted to see a mental health professional and since I was about to have perhaps my 20th surgery in 3 or 4 years I said yes....I was extremely depressed. When I was speaking to her she asked me if I ever did anything to myself...that would hurt my recovery. I told her that the only thing I ever did was scratch my incision...because it itched...what a novel concept. I spoke with her for maybe 10 minutes and she came away saying that I had Munchausen's. That really put me over the edge......I told the doctor that perhaps they needed to walk a day in my shoes...see how badly my life was destroyed from my illness...they wouldn't dare suggest it. I haven't had an actual problem with the doctors regarding this in about 5 or 6 years. I did have one go around with a local surgeon who we were trying to get assistance from in finding another surgeon for me. When I first met with him I told him everything...even the parts ....like Munchausen's that I didn't want him to really hear but felt that if he was going to help me he needed to know everything. When he finally prepared a referral letter for me he suggested that Munchausen's was a problem....like he had even spoken with my doctors. Needless to say we did not use his referral letter. It went in the round recycling bin. It took me a long time to overcome this diagnosis......but I believe that I have finally done it. I walk into the er and everyone knows me...knows my problems...and is sympathetic. I have no problems getting any type of drug I need to help with the pain....short term anyway. But it took them years to realize that I wasn't just someone coming in off the street looking for my next high. I have actually had nurses and doctors cry with me because of all my problems and no solutions. But it did take years....and I have been treated exactly like each and every one of you. Perhaps it is because a fellow ARD sufferer who visited the er frequently and received the same callous treatment went to the er and was mistreated...went home only to return to the er the next day so ill that she passed away that night. I would like to think not, yet at the same time I would hope that the er staff learned something from her death.

Anyways, I guess I went way off track here. Sorry.

Love, Karla

>----- Original Message -----
From: "Wally" <wallamara@hotmail.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2001 9:36 PM Subject: Re: Robyne?

> Hi Karla,
>
> I haven't had much news of Robyne lately either. Some time ago, I was
> chatting with Suze she mentioned that Robyne had been in & out of
> hospital. I know that she hasn't had a good time, and at one stage they
> put her in the "mental health ward", I believe that "problem" was
> resolved (they realised she didn't really belong in that ward!!!!).
> Since then Suze hasn't mentioned her. I will ask Suze for you & let you
> know how she is going.
>
> Love, hugs & cheers
>
> Jo
>
> At Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Karla wrote:
> >
> >Hi to all my friends down in Australia!
> >
> >It has been ages since I have heard anything about Robyne Hinks....I
guess I have been way too caught up in my own problems. Does anyone have an update they can give me? Robyne and my paths parallel each other so closely that I have always felt a special bond there....I just pray that everything is ok. > >
> >Love,
> >Karla
>
> --
> Positive Affirmation
>
> Say this with your hands above your head
> (victory style) and repeat three times:
> I'm Alive I'm Alert I'm a LOT of fun!!
>
> That should get you smiling!
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: