Re: Paramedic with adhesions, hell from inside the medical community

Sun Sep 9 19:39:23 2001

Paul,

I am so glad that you have gotten help with your problem. Unfortunately, it is in my blood to call attention to one thing and I sincerely do not want to be negative. I have heard some good stories about Dr. Semertzides....but I have a big problem with him...and your story bares this out. That is the need for repeated surgeries...in your case 3 to date and you say that you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. How many more surgeries do you have to undergo to get to the end of the tunnel?? There are very few doctors out there that can take care of our problem...and it is very hard to find them...but they are there and for the most part they take care of the adhesions in ONE surgery. Yes, they are very expensive and yes they want there money upfront, but its one surgery...not multiple surgeries which in and of themselves create more adhesions. When you add up the multiple surgeries it is probably costing more to go to someone like Dr. Semertzides and then you are putting your self at risk with each additional surgery.

I will admit....I am kind of carrying an attitude right not because I just realized something. Everyone out there in this group is soooo excited about Intergel possibly coming to the US and yes, I was excited too. But, my doctor just told me on Thursday that they will put no more foreign materials into my abdomen....ever because my body just rejects them. That means no hope of a cure with INTERGEL. That means a lifetime of pain unless I can find a doctor to cure me without Intergel.

I am open to hearing from Dr. Semertzides himself if he wishes to contact me. I cannot be a naysayer without at least giving them a chance. However, I wonder...how many of his procedures are done laproscopically? I would travel anywhere and have...to find an answer to my problems. As it is, I now have to settle for a "patch" job...my doctor's own words...and hope and pray that I never herniate again...even though I have probably had more hernias then this entire group combined. And believe me....I am not exaggerating. I don't like settling for less. Read my story on the adhesion quilt and then contact me at ifirgit@new.rr.com and I will give you my phone number. Like I said.....I am willing to hear what Dr. Semertzides has to say. At this time, I just don't agree with his practices.

--
Karla N.

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Owens NREMT-P" <PLOJER40@aol.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 2:08 PM Subject: Paramedic with adhesions, hell from inside the medical community

> Hello, My name is Paul Owens, and I have been a Paramedic for about > twelve years. I am also a paramedic, and emt instructor. I have been > an ARD sufferer for about 14 years. Every surgeon that has treated me > in the past has treated me like scum after surgery. Their feelings were > that they had removed the adhesions; end of story. I am originally from > akron, Ohio. I contacted Dr Wiseman to ask if there were any doctors in > northeast Ohio that had a clue. I figured with the Cleveland Clinic, > Cleveland Univ. Hospital, Cleveland Metro Hosp., There had to be > someone. WRONG!!!! Dr Wiseman gave me the name of Dr John Semertzides, > and his phone number in Cincinnati. I called him the next day, and he > called me back. We talked for 45 minutes, and without me saying a word; > he told me MY story. I saw him two weeks later. I've been very > fortunate; my fiance' lived about 45 min away from him. For the last > year I have lived down here being treated by Dr Semertzides. I have at > least one more surgery, but I'm better than I was. > Please allow me to give you a few details. So far I have had three > surgeries. During the first surg the Dr found a problem that the other > surgeons should have noticed during my first surgery for ARD. Dr > Semertzides will not be rushed, because he insists on doing it right. As > a medical profesional I can appreciate that, but it's the other things > about Dr Semertzides that really make him great. He doesn't have any > partners, and if you call him at 3am, he will have called you back by > 3:10am. I can go into the ER at any hosp, and if the doc calls from his > car, he can still tell the ER docs, what meds you're on, what surgeries > you've had, and when you've had them. If you're feeling down, he will > have some of his success stories get in touch with you. They will give > you their phone numbers, come in and see you in the hospital. If you > need psychotherapy, he will arrange that too. THE MAJOR thing is; no > matter how difficult your case he will NOT give up on you. He helped to > keep me going when I was just too tired to deal with the pain any more. > When I was sick of kneeling in front of the toilet. > It's been a rough road, but I can actually see a light at the end of the > tunnel, and 90% of why is Dr John Semertzides > > -- > Paul Owens=PLOJER40@aol.com >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: