Doctor wants to remove nerve

Sat Sep 22 08:45:52 2001

I saw my general surgeon yesterday and he told me the best treatment to relieve the pain from my adhesions is to totally remove the nerve. I did not like this idea so I was searching the internet for alternatives and found your website.

I had abdominal surgery in 1988 and about three months later developed severe pain in my right and left abdomen that radiated. I spent years going to different doctors thinking I had a hernia or that something else was wrong. One doctor tried a nerve block which did not help much. None of the doctors wanted to operate and one told me adhesions are good and that I should learn to live with the pain. Finally in 1997 I developed a right and left hernia while volunteering as an emergency medical technician. The day after surgery I did not have any pain in my left abdomen but had a sharp pain on my right side around the incision area. It did seem to diminish a bit afterwards but then returned. Sometimes I go a few days where I am almost pain free and would not consider surgery. But then I have periods where I suffer severe pain. It seems that the severest pain occurs at intervals of every two to three weeks. Fortunately I have only had occasional discomfort on my left side after the hernia surgery.

The doctor feels that adhesions have developed near a nerve. The doctor said that if he removes the nerve (strips it out) I would have a broad area where I would be totally numb and not have any feeling. He said the success rate with this is 90 to 95 percent. If he cuts out the adhesions around the nerve the success rate would be 50 percent or less. I would like to have feeling so I know if something is wrong but also want to be pain free. If you have any ideas please let me know. I thought that not many people had my problem until I found your website.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: