CLARE

Thu Nov 1 21:01:38 2001

At 11/1/01 08:31 AM -0600, you wrote: > you
>understand the state of our health care system here.

Clare:

We have a system to our health care???? *LOL* Right, like the bill we got for my partner getting a shot of blood thinner for a clot in his leg - they started threatening us with collections, and when I called them about the invoice, the reply I got was "Oh! Blood thinners are covered under Medicare! Forget it, I'll cancel the invoice!"

Right - the wonders of socialized medicine *LOL*

You are right about the protocol in Canada, however. Before I got anywhere towards pain management, I went through internal, ultrasound, gyn, internal, u/s, urologist, barium enema, cystoscopy, gyn, finally after 15 months the diagnostic lap. Then it was back to the GP, to a local surgeon, to another, to a year long fight for something stronger than Ibuprofen. When the cystoscopy was done, I knew they wouldn't find anything, and I was so wound up the urologist asked "Then why bother having it done?" I told him "If I don't have this done, my GP won't go any further towards finding out what is causing the pain, and I'll end up committing suicide." After the procedure, he came in and said "Well, we didn't find anything." I gave him "The Look" *LOL*.

Just remember - although your gyn has promised he won't take you in for a laparoscopy and do a laparotomy without your permission, he may not have a choice. If he goes in for a laparoscopy and finds more than he bargained for or something goes wrong, he may have to open you up. That is one reason I refuse to have surgery in our local "band-aid station". The hospital here just does not have the facilities to convert from laparoscopy to laparotomy safely, and I would end up being rushed to Fredericton by ambulance - 75 miles away. Thanks, but no thanks. You have the advantage of being in the big city, where the hospitals are better equipped.

Anyway, now you have access to all kinds of advice from those who have "been there, done that", which will help you make an informed decision.

Pain-free hugs.

Nancy in NB

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: