Post -op complication from epidural

Mon Nov 5 20:58:59 2001

I'm not sure if this is the correct type of sight to ask my question....but I'm desperate for some answers. I recently had my 20th surgery on my leg/feet due to nerve damage. Before many of the surgeries an epidural was placed in oder to put the nerve " to sleep" before and after surgery. This is supposed to lower this risk of the nerve flaring after the surgery. The last 4-5 epidruals wouldn't take though and the doctor thought it was due to too many past epidurals and possible adhesions in the area. So, with this last surgery, under x-ray, they put in some dye, saw the adhesions and placed the epidural a little higher and then got a full successful block. The surgery went fine. But, my first complaint when I woke was that my low back hurt even though I was numb from the ribs down from the epidural. After 6 days the epidural was taken out. But, now I have a numb area around my buttock about the size of a CD. It radiates into my underside of my groin area and also have a small patch of numbness on the back of my thigh. What scares me the most is that when I try to climb the stairs my butt and legs feel weaker than normal. Like I've climbed 40 stairs instead of 4. I do have some pain at the epidural sight too, it feels a little bruised. But, I'm more worried about the numbness and what to do about it. Thank you for your in put. Debbie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: