Re: extensive adhesions left behind in surgery?

Wed Nov 7 09:44:01 2001

thanks Jo and I do understand what you are trying to say, I really do, I have 6 or 7 laparascopies prior to my hyst to try and conserve my organs and get rid of endometriosis and this is my 3rd procedure just past to help with ongoing pain (that is not the same as prehyst)what I was eluding to in my post was the dr had discussed bringing in a general surgeon if necessary during the case and I just wanted it to be over and not to have to go back so I was confused when she didn't follow through with that. I do understand the risks and I sincerely hope my pain stays at a level I can handle so I don't have to have further work done.....but am not a candidate for pain management due to an allergy to local anesthetics so it's tough. I do appreciate what your saying and believe me I"m not rushing into anything, I'm just asking around, getting info and other opinions and reading posts here on the board, I just wondered if there was anyone around that had extensive adhesions on their bowel and had them removed and how they were feeling, did they have complications etc? thanks for you kind thoughts, I do appreciate them!!

At Wed, 07 Nov 2001, Jo Eslick wrote: >
>Dear Gidge
>I'm a little concerned that you are still wondering why another surgeon wasn't called in to complete the surgery.....(your words).
>I still maintain that your doctor had your best interests at heart, when she didn't attempt to remove all of the adhesions.  It isn't simply a matter of calling someone else in!  There needs to be consultation between you, (as the patient) & doctors and the seriousness of your condition and where the adhesions are placed in your body!
>
>I doubt very much that a surgeon with the skills required to do such intensive surgery are hovering close by to step in if the original surgeon can't complete the operation because it falls outside their expertise!  Please don't misunderstand me here Gidge, as a fellow adhesions sufferer I understand what you are saying, I am not a medical person.  I am writing this to you, based on my personal experiences with surgery and from the information I have gathered, read and then asked questions about it here on the board.  There are so MANY stories on the quilt about patients just like you have had surgery to remove adhesions, HOWEVER their surgeon didn't recognise they were out of their depth, or like others, don't believe that adhesions cause pain and therefore ignored the situation.
>
>I think you need to get past what happened during this recent surgery, I know, because I had serious complications after my hysterectomy last year, and it took me MONTHS to "get passed" what had happened to me, it held up my recovery from the surgery and probably went a long way to adding to the unbelievable pain I was suffering.
>
>Did you read Karla's story?  Please, tread carefully....do lots of research, read, ask questions and then ask some more....visit us here on the board & READ the daily messages and you will discover the results of too many surgeries, or a surgery that has inadvertently caused additional complications and pain....many requiring more surgery.  Think VERY carefully before agreeing to more surgery, you can't go back once it has been done.  Try and find the time to read the last few weeks daily messages here on the board, perhaps that will allow you to see where I am coming from.
>
>Remember, all of us here are fellow adhesions sufferers, and our aim is to offer comfort, support & advice based on our experiences.  Use our "retro scopes" to find out what we would do differently if given the opportunity.
>
>Yours in friendship
>
>Jo (Australia)
>
>>From: gidgesmail@yahoo.ca (gidge)
>
>>Reply-To: adhesions@adhesions.org
>
>>To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS
>
>>Subject: Re: extensive adhesions left behind in surgery?
>
>>Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:07:58 -0600
>
>>thanx for your replies, and I understand why she didn't operate on them
>
>>and appreciate that she wasn't skilled in this area, I just wonder why
>
>>they didn't bring someone else in like a general surgeon to finish the
>
>>job.....and will my pain return or get worse now? And has anyone heard
>
>>of anyone having an allergic reaction to Intercede? IF I have the big
>
>>surgery they are considering using it and I have alot of allergies to
>
>>drugs and am concerned about this. thanx for all the support!!!
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: