Re: 1st period after lap (Thx for the reply Jo)

Wed Nov 7 19:02:16 2001

Hi Libby

I would think that using a treadmill would need to be re-introduced slowly.  I know the treadmills at the gym I go to give you the option of incline levels etc.....my suggestion (based on what my doctor has told me....remember this is personal experience I am NOT a medical person) would be to start with a short session on "flat" ground, increasing the activity every other week or so until you are back up to your usual exercise level.

It doesn't actually take long for our bodies to loose "conditioning."  I worked at the Olympics last year in Sydney.  I was in charge of a team of volunteer staff involved in Crowd Control in the Olympic Park, and walked literally km's everyday as part of my normal days work.  By the end I was jogging up the gradual spiral walk way that takes spectators up to the top areas of Stadium Australia.  When we returned home to Bathurst (and my constant adrenalin fix ended), my pain from adhesions reared it's ugly head and I spent the time up to the Paralympics in bed!  (I did still experience pain while working, but with oxycodone & the bodies natural morphine "endorphins" I coped really well)  When I started walking again, just a few short weeks later, I was amazed at how much "conditioning" I had lost, I had to gradually increase my activity again so that I could cope with all the walking required around Olympic Park.

Did I enjoy the Olympics & Paralympics?  Oh yes, I LOVED playing with the crowds :-) I have never experienced anything like it before in my life, and both my husband & I would LOVE to work at the Olympics in Greece....we still can't believe that a year has already passed!  Still we have plenty of photo's & fond memories....we were also fortunate to be involved with the marching band (just under 2000 kids from around the world), they stayed in Bathurst for 2 weeks prior to the games to practice as one band...... those kids worked hard and we felt like "foster parents" in the end.....we really missed the interaction with them when they returned home.

Sorry, that was a long way of explaining to reintroduce exercises gradually!  LOL  Sorry, I really did have a wonderful time, and I wish we could all enjoy our work & experience the adrenillun & endorphins that can & does keep pain at bay......wonder how we can turn that into a tablet?  LOL

Love & warm gentle hugs to you Libby

Jo (Australia)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: