I think we need an IAS mascot

Tue Nov 27 21:55:54 2001

The first time I ever heard of adhesions was when I was researching pms and I read a book Listening To Your Hormones by ------- She talks about her lifelong medical problems in the book, including that she was having ovarian pain and they kept doing biopsies to see what was wrong. Many years later she became convinced that the pain was originally the benign ovulation pain called mittelschmerz, but after enough surgery it turned into adhesion pain. When I read her description of how each surgery to knock down the adhesions would instead leave her with more adhesions than she started with, I immediately thought of the hydra. This is the beast in greek mythology where each time you lop off one of its heads two more grow back in its place.

I found this link with a picture:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/archive/mythical-beasts.htm

Here is the text:

THE HYDRA

Each month we will be looking at a different mythical beast. This month it is the hydra. As you can see the hydra was quite a monster.

The Hydra lived in the swamps near Lerna in Greece. It had the body of a snake and many heads. One head could not be hurt by any weapon and if you cut off any of the other heads two would grow in its place. The Hydra's breath was deadly too. The poor people of Lerna were terrorised by it.

It was finally killed by the Greek hero Hercules with the help of his nephew Iolaus. Hercules kept bashing the Hydra's heads with his club, but then they kept growing. Iolaus saved the day by holding a lighted torch to the headless necks before the new heads could grow. In the end Hercules was left with the one head that couldn't be killed with a weapon. Hercules hit the head with his club, then tore it off with his bare hands and buried it under a stone.

--
Clearly we need a Hercules and/or Iolaus to figure out how to slay adhesions!

cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: