Adhesions after rectocele repair.

Sat Jan 5 21:20:48 2002

In October 2000 I had a vaginal prolapse repair done and a rectocele repair done at the same time (my third rectocele)the surgery was performed through a previous incision in my lower abdomen that was done in 1991. I had no problems after the surgery and healed quite well.

Unfortunately, by the middle of last year the 'bulge' was back. I went back to my OB-GYN who, after examination, told me that my large intestine was protuding through the top of my vagina and it would have to be repaired.

However, upon starting the surgery he realized that it was actually a retocele again and so repaired it but this was after he had already opened up where he thought my large intestine was protuding. He also tightened my pelvic floor again.

This was last September and again I healed well but for the past few weeks I have been in awful pain. I feel like I'm contispated but I'm not because I tried using a laxative and nothing happened, if you know what I mean? When I sit it feels like something is pushing up from my rectum into the area where my abdominal scar is from the surgeries performed in 1991 & 2000 and that scar hurts a lot too. When I do have a BM again the scar hurts.

I am not a healthy person if you count the many surgeries I have had. I have had 31 surgeries including a total knee replacement in 1996 at the age of 36, that failed because of adhesion build up and my knee is now fused and unable to bend. I had a vaginal hysterectomy at the age of 27 and since then have had 4 rectoceles repaired, two birch procedures and one vaginal prolapse repair.

When I was about 11 I had my appendix removed and had adhesion build-up from that, in 1999 I also had my gall bladder removed and the surgeon told me it was full of adhesions. My knee, as I said, also built up too many adhesions and is the cause of my disability. Now with this past record I think it's likely that this pain I am experiencing now is caused by adhesions due to the amount of surgery I have done there. I have this awful thought that my rectum is stuck to this scar or something, sounds silly I know but this pain is pretty uncomfortable.

Do you think this is possible? Am I paranoid about adhesions? If it could be adhesions what can be done if anything?

I intend to go and see my OB-GYN over this obviously but I would appreciate some feedback on this from this forum too.

Thanks

--
Jayne

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: