Re: small bowel obstruction-Julie

Thu Jan 10 06:59:07 2002

Julie, I am so sorry you are suffering, we all know the pain and frustration adhesions cause. I have suffered from partial and full blown bowel obstructions. The most common reason for bowel obstructions is previous surgeries. Whenever the abdominal cavity is opened, there is a possibility of adhesions.. The adhesions are a normal tissue reaction to injury or decreased blood supply. The adhesions can attach the bowel to the abdominal wall, liver, spleen or other structures. Symptoms are pain, constipation, diarrhea, and sometimes obstruction. The adhesions can completely block the bowel. You can also experience abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. About 70% of obstructions will resolve with conservative, non-surgical care. Unfortunately the only treatment for symptomatic adhesions is surgical removal, which may compound the problem. You need a doctor who is skilled at minimally invasive surgery and is knowledgeable about adhesions and their related problems.There is excellent information posted on the site regarding diet and bowel obstruction. I will pray that you receive the help you so desperately need. Sherry

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: