Robotic Laparoscopic Surgery To Remove Adhesions

Tue Feb 12 07:35:06 2002

I am trying to find out if anyone has ever had a robotic laparoscopic surgery to remove adhesions and whether or not it was successful. Would also be interested, to the extent it is available, in getting data on recurrence of adhesions after this kind of surgery.

Over the past five years, I have been in the hospital on five times for partial bowel obstruction which my doctors believe is caused by adhesions from an appendectomy I had in 1992. In each case, the obstruction cleared after using an NG tube. In perhaps a dozen other cases I had similar pain/pressure building, but the obstruction cleared on its own without having to go into the hospital. Between partial bowel obstructions, I have no pain or symptoms. Initially, the approach my doctors suggested was to do nothing. Each noted that by operating I ran the risk of creating more adhesions. However, this is interfering with my life and I would like to do something about it, provided it will not be counterproductive.

I live in Baltimore and consulted a doctor at Johns Hopkins who initially recommended waiting until the next partial bowel obstruction and operating then. Later, he recommended a colleague who would use the hospital's robotic laparoscope to do the surgery less invasively. After consulting with him, I scheduled surgery, but I am having second thoughts about going through with it. I haven't been able to find much written about success or failure of this approach. Are you aware of anything or do you have any thoughts?

--
paul.jeanne@wachovia.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: