Laparoscopy

Mon Mar 4 22:59:22 2002

I had a Laparoscopy last week to "cut out adhesions". I had an ectopic last August and they had to take my right tube. In August they said I had severe adhesions all over my pelvis. My right tube was stuck to my bowel sac. I ended up having complications from the surgery (a hemotoma where they cut my tube).

I have had pelvic pain since the ectopic. My gyne. thought I had adhesions pulling on my bowel sac, on the right side (where I had the ectopic) So I had surgery last week, I had to sign consent for laparoscopy, possible laparotomy and possible cateurization where they cut the adhesions.

In the OR, before they put me out, I asked the surgeon to have a look at my left tube (other surgeon thought it may be damaged). He said he would look at everything. I have no children, but desperately want to.

When I woke up in recovery, I was shocked to discover that they took my left tube and ovary. I said to the Dr. - so, I have no tubes? He said no you have your right tube - I said No, I don't they took it with the ectopic. He checked my chart and said, Oh, Yeah, they took part of your tube!

I do not have a copy of the consent I signed, but I am sure that there is some provision in there consenting to emergency measures. It seems very wrong that they can just take a tube and ovary without your consent.

Is this normal? Would a standard consent include permission for this type of thing.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: