Debbie from Sally

Tue Mar 5 13:56:55 2002

Dear Debbie from Sally, Welcome to the board. Please do not rush into a hysterectomy. There are a few really good surgeons that can elimiate your adhesions completely through laproscopic surgery. Just a few very small holes and a great technique with thousands of such surgeries already conducted. They operate on people that other doctors say are impossible.

A doctor here locally cut my bladder because he did not have enough experience. You need someone who knows what they are doing and then probably you will not neeed a hysterectomy. Please don't jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Please go to the board http://www.adhesions.org and read the stories on the quilt. Don't believe that a hysterectomy will alleviate your pain. It could make it a thousand times worse. I'm not trying to scare you, but I am trying to get you to read up on everything you can before your decision. I am not a doctor and can not give you medical advice. Nor would I attempt to. I am only saying that I would give anything to not have had my hysterectomy. What a bloody mistake.After four years of complete agony, I am finally on adequate pain control.

One other thing, and its not true of all doctors, most doctors will drop you after the operation if you have adhesions because there is nothing left for them to do. They don't want to give you pain meds, so they label you "pyscho" of some variey and send you on your way. My doctor of twenty years, yes, 20 years, gave me a hysterectomy which he had been plugging for, for years. After the operation which resulted in a big cut and a big scar, he dropped me. He told me that I probably had adhesions again since he had found adhesions during the surgery and since there was no cure, he didn't want to give me opiates, therefore there was nothing else for him to do. I was shocked and hurt. He presented me with my final bill and sent me on my way. I am still hurt to this day. Adhesions do not need female organs to attach to, they can attach to your intestines, liver, stomach, abdominal wall, bladder, etc. You get the picture.

Thank the Good Lord that I have found a nice local doctor who knew enough to stop operating on me, we tried twice and the adhesions came right back plus my bladder was inadvertently sliced. I subsequently had surgery, laproscopically with Dr. Redan, Reich and Gerhard in Penn. They are good. Even though the adhesions came right back, I would still recommend them. They know what they are doing.

Please, please go slowly, unless you have reason to believe that you have cancer or infections or bowel blockages. With kindest regards, Sally Grigg

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: