Re: Methadone question - Found an Answer!

Thu Mar 7 19:31:03 2002

Hi Cindy

I found an answer to my own question. I did a search and found a site "Methadone Today". They are having their own fight with the government drug agencies to keep Methadone Clinics open & helping people. Here are the answers I got; http://www.methadonetoday.org

"Is methadone used for heroin withdrawal? Although it is used for withdrawal, it isn't its main use. Opiate addicts have withdrawn many, many times. Withdrawal isn't the problem. Staying off opiates is the problem. Methadone's main purpose is to replace the endorphins that opiate addicts' dysfunctional opiate receptor ligand system no longer manufactures (or manufactures to a lesser degree than the "average" person). Methadone is mainly used as a maintenance medication, and it is used to maintain those who have taken too many short-acting prescription opiates also.

Is methadone used as a painkiller? Yes, it is. In fact, it is a very good painkiller. It is usually used at much lower doses as a painkiller than for maintenance for opiate addiction." "

Maybe the Methadone has the twofold effect of making it easier to get off of Opiates. It also sounds like it would be good for someone who has built up a tolerance to the Opiates.

Good Luck to those trying them. Please let me know how they work for you. I would be very interested. Also, does it have a narcotic effect? I drive a long way to work each day and can't have anything that makes me sleepy. I take Ultram and that has no tiring effect on me. As a matter of fact, I can't even take it at night because it will keep me awake ALL night. I just lay down and suffer at night. I would like to find something that doesn't do either to me. Thanks

Beth

At Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Cindy wrote: >
>At Thu, 7 Mar 2002, BethC wrote:
>>
>>Hi All,
>>This may be a dumb question, but here goes...
>>I thought Methadone was something they gave people to get off hard core
>>drugs like heroin? Does it have pain killing benefits? I have never
>>heard of it being used that way.
>>
>>Thanks for any info
>>
>>Beth C
>>
>>--
>>Not Alone Anymore...
>>
>Hi Beth