Re: adhesions and suing dr

Sun Mar 17 22:07:06 2002

Dear Patrcia:

Wish we could sue for not being told that we could get adhesions from surgery. Mine were from a total abdominal hysterectomy and never a word uttered about the possibility of my being very susceptible to getting them because I had had three prior laparotomies (with no problem) but my luck was about to run out, which it did on the last operation. I was told by an attorney that adhesions are a fact of life and you can't sue for them and that if you tried to sue because the surgeon didn't tell you about the possibility of getting adhesions, he said that this was the norm, therefore; my GYN could get 100 surgeons to testify that there's nothing in writing saying that they have to tell us. If they told us, wouldn't that cut down on a lot of surgeries? Why tell then? Geese, think of all the money they would lose if we would have known before hand the chances of us getting adhesions. If I would have been told, I don't think I would have had the surgery and she wouldn't have pocketed the 10 grand from my surgery.

What a bunch of crap, isn't it? Seems like we should be able to change this and have adhesions written on the consent form as one of the consequences of having surgery.

In Friendship,

Hell-yun

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: