Re: Let me tell you about my day at the doctors..................

Fri Mar 22 18:04:09 2002

My dear, dear, Chrissie:

How could anyone treat our sweet, wonderful, kind Chrissie that way!?!? Can I say prick on this forum? If not, I'm sorry, I sometimes get my "d"'s and my "pr"'s mixed up! I appologize if I offend anyone.

Chrissie, let me tell you what happened to me. I was 37 and had only ever gone to the Dr. for checkups every 3 or 4 years for most of my life. I was bleeding so badly I knew I was hemmorrhaging, and when I couldn't get up the stairs without taking 2 breaks, I knew I had to go to the Dr. Every time I stood up, I was so dizzy!

My PCP sent me for blood tests, ultrasound and xrays. My blood came back with a ferritin of 4, and the pelvic ultrasound showed a mass of 9 cm. He sent me to a gastro. It was Christmas time. The gastro asked me about my symptoms and performed a colonoscopy without any sedation. He looked at the palms of my hands, and told me my iron level was fine, and that he didn't understand why I would make up a story that it was low. He told me that often "women my age" feel that they aren't getting enough attention, and we tend to make things up to get that attention. He suggested I get mental help. I stood up, wished him Merry Christmas, and walked out. I was shattered. My PC souldn't believe it when I told him. To this day, the words "gastro" and "anal" have the same definition for me.

Three months later I had a 14cm ovarian tumor, my ovary and some fibroids removed via lapaortomy. Imagine that, when there was nothing wrong with me and I just needed mental help! I wish I had told him to shove it like you did (how very courageous of you!! Atta girl, Chrissie!!!!) but I couldn't, because I was in shock.

If you're wondering what my point is, it's that some Drs are just a**holes. When I read your post I got sooo peeved. Chrissy, you are just the nicest person, and you don't deserve his attitude. You know adhesions cause pain. So do I, your gyn, your PCP, and countless adhesion sufferers around the world. Most general surgeons don't believe that adhesions cause pain because thay are not as technically advanced as gyns are. Period. Most general surgeons are just starting to do laparoscopic surgeries, when gyns have been doing them for more than 30 years (I think).

Chrissie, please go back to your PCP and tell him/her exactly what happened. Insist that s/he send you to someone who recognizes that adhesions do cause pain. I don't know if you've been to a pain clinic, but if not please insist that your Dr. get you to one, fast.

Chrissie, you are always our angel - so full of cheer and kind words for everyone. I wish I could cheer you up today the way your posts always cheer me up! I'm struggling here to find something funny out of this.

Here's the best I can do.... Chrissie, if ignorance is bliss, then I'd say the doctor you saw today is one happy fella!

((((Hugs))))

--
Clare

--
csheedy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: