Lonely SBS

Tue Apr 2 09:03:34 2002

I have had the SBS since 8/00 and live in Wisconsin. I feel like I'm the only one that has SBS in Wisconsin. I would love to have a pen pal that I could share my frustrations, problems, etc....I do have great support of my medical staff but sometimes I want to talk to a person that already has SBS. All these adhesion problems occured when I had lapscopy (spell?) in 1993 to remove my uterus. Then I developed a bowel obstruction. That was a piece of cake surgery. Then in 1999 I developed a tumor on my ovary and they removed both and saw alot of adhesions and hoped they wouldn't give me trouble. A week later I had 5 resections, 9 hours long surgery and 6 weeks of hospitalization and plus 3 other short stays in 1999. I was still in pain & vomiting the surgeon I had at that time basically told me there isn't anything wrong w/me, etc...After one & half years living w/that, I saw someone else for a 2nd opinion and this surgeon couldn't believe what she saw. The adhesions was from the upper colon to the rectum. I lost my ileum and only have 4.5 feet of small intestine left. The surgery was a 10.5 marathon. My parents were told I may not survive this surgery. The surgeon told my parents that if I would have would waited another week, I would have died. AFter one week of ICU & 5 weeks of hospitalization, I went home w/TPN, tube feeding, etc...I was on TPN and tube feeding for 5 months.

The diet was the hardest thing I had to go through. I have always hated dieting and it was a hard adjustment to it. It took me 6-8 months before I got the hand of it and I had to learn to cook too. I was able to eat cheeseburgers, fries, pizza and everything else I got sick and had this surgery. I used to be very active, going out w/friends, biking, jogging, traveling. I still go out w/friends but as far as exercises, it has been zipped! I tried jogging but I always ended up running home to the bathroom! I'm afraid to be around places that don't have access to the bathroom. I'm having trouble w/my iron and already had two blood transfusions to get up iron up to level. Anyway, it would be nice to talk to someone and share stories or swap ideas/suggestions. Love to hear from you.

--
Traci

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: