With the knowledge that you gain

Thu Apr 18 21:46:26 2002

As the result of a diagnostic laparoscopy in August 1997 I learned for the very first time that there definitely was a reason for the unrelenting, debilitating pain I had lived with for more than 27 years - massive adhesions as the result of a laparotomy in 1970!!! It was then that I decided to learn as much as I could about adhesions; and when I realized how much information I had found, I knew I needed to share this information with others.

Since I'm not a medical professional, all I can do is to share the information I've found. If you are suffering from unrelenting chronic pain - and all diagnostic tests have been negative or normal - it is highly possible that you could be suffering from adhesions. If this is the case, then it's very important that you start to learn as much as you can about adhesions-related disease (ARD) - which is so poorly understood by the medical profession. There are far too many doctors who don't believe - or won't admit - that adhesions can cause pain!!

With the knowledge that you gain by learning as much as you can about ARD, you will be able to recognize if your doctor has the same understanding about ARD as you do. If he/she doesn't, then it's time for you to look for a doctor who does agree that adhesions can cause pain!!

You will learn that there are two adhesion barriers currently available: Interceed and Seprafilm. The FDA has approved the use of these adhesion barriers for laparotomy (open abdominal) procedures only. Only an informed doctor/surgeon would know that adhesion barriers are available. A surgeon, who is not aware of adhesion barriers, will not have the skill and experience, which are needed to apply these adhesion barriers correctly.

The purpose of an adhesion barrier is to help minimize the formation of adhesions, which start forming shortly after the conclusion of surgical procedure. The body attempts to heal itself following a trauma, such as surgery; and as a result adhesions begin to form - and will continue to form up to 7 days after surgery.

Unfortunately, neither Seprafilm nor Interceed are 100% effective. Each barrier has its own problems. SEPRAFILM is brittle and is quite difficult for the surgeon to use. When Seprafilm is moistened, it becomes sticky and is difficult for the surgeon to apply. If any blood is left in the abdominal/pelvic cavity, INTERCEED will not be effective. Consequently, many of the best surgeons do not use either of these adhesion barriers!!

In November 2001 the FDA approved the use of INTERGEL in laparotomy (open abdominal) procedures only. Intergel is expected to be available for surgical use early in 2002.

Currently there are clinical trials being conducted on several kinds of gel adhesion barriers, which can be used in laparoscopic surgery.

"Knowledge gives you strength. Knowledge gives you courage. Without courage there can be no progress. Without progress there is no solution."

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: