Mary Pomroy's comments about her surgery in Germany...

Thu Apr 25 15:14:25 2002

SprayGel is the name of the adhesion barrier Dr. Korell used to help prevent the formation of adhesions after Mary Pomroy's April 11th surgery.

~ ~ ~ ~

1.) How did you meet Bev Doucette? --- I met Bev through the Internet. She gave me a link to the International Adhesion Society; and that provided the support group that I needed. 2.) Do you mind if I ask your age and where you are from? --- I am a 60 year-old grandmother who lives in Calgary, Canada. I am originally from New Foundland.

3.) When did you first learn that the pain - you were suffering with - was related to adhesions that had formed after your surgeries? --- My first surgery (of a total of 10) was a vagotomy and pyloroplasty in 1980. I experienced some pain after that initial surgery; but it was not until 1990 - when I had surgical treatment of my small bowel - that I started experiencing serious pain. When I returned to my doctor(s) with pain - despite the operative notes indicating that there were adhesions during surgery - they said it was in my head and referred me to psychiatrists, who provided the same diagnosis because of the stresses in my life. In July of 2000, I was referred to Dr. Korell in Germany. After operating on me, he described all of the adhesions in my abdomen and he said he believed that they were the cause of my pain. Finally, thanks to Dr. Korell, my pain and my feelings were validated!! 4.) Will you describe the pain you experienced after the 1990 surgery on your small bowel; and how did it affect your lifestyle? --- The pain controlled my life. I couldn't lie down - without feeling a tremendous amount of pain. I couldn't sleep. It hurt to breathe, raise my arms. It was the most unimaginable torture that you could ever think of. I was a RN (registered nurse); and being active is part of the job of being a RN. I just could not do it without tremendous pain; so I had to quit work. Soon after that, my insurance was cut off; because they believed that I didn't want to work. I had to go on welfare; and I basically isolated myself. I saw my grandchildren less and less. I stopped riding my bike and I felt alone.

5.) When did Professor Korell perform your most recent surgery? --- On April 11th he performed an adhesiolysis and removed all of the adhesions in my abdomen. Then, last Friday (April 19th) he did a second look laparoscopy to see if any adhesions had re-formed since my April 11th surgery.

6.) How did you feel immediately after your first surgery on April 11th? --- I woke up after surgery; and there was no pain! At first I thought the surgery had paralyzed me. It wasn't until I pinched myself that I realized I was pain-free. I was able to breathe and lie down with no pain.

7.) What did Professor Korell find after he performed the second look laparoscopy on April 19th? --- He was very excited and explained that over 80% of the areas - where I previously had adhesions - were free of adhesions. He did see an adhesion on my stomach and diaphragm; but this adhesion was easily "taken down" by Dr. Korell - and he applied some more SprayGel to help prevent the reformation of the adhesion in this area.

8.) Have other adhesion barriers been used during your previous surgeries? --- Yes. In July, 2000 Dr. Korell used Intergel. After that surgery I felt better - except on the third day the pain returned. To feel so much pain for so many years and then experience the joy of no pain - and then to have it taken away, was horrible!

9.) How do you feel now? Do you have any pain? --- It’s a miracle! I feel very good - an all-over wellness. I can breathe, sleep and move around without pain; although at times I do feel some pain near my diaphragm.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: