A TRUE FRIEND: Bev entered my life at the time of my darkest hour -- and she never abandoned me!!

Thu Apr 25 15:14:32 2002

Mary Pomroy asked me to post the following message for her:

~ ~ ~ ~ A TRUE FRIEND: Bev entered my life at the time of my darkest hour -- and she never abandoned me!!

One of my biggest concerns -- regarding my April 21st interview -- is that I didn't have a chance to give Beverly Doucette (Bev) the credit she deserves. I want everyone to know that Bev did not provide me with a link to the internet (as my interview said). BEV WAS MY LINK!!!!!

Here is how I met Bev:

At four o'clock in the morning on June 15, 2000 -- as I paced the floor with a very large bottle of sleeping pills in my hand and was very seriously contemplating suicide -- it dawned on me!! Why not do a search on the Internet? I had a sneaking suspicion that " ADHESIONS " might be the cause of the horrible pain I continually suffered with -- without any relief -- day after day and night after night!

So I went to my computer and did a search on one of the search engines. I typed in the word, "Adhesions" -- and I waited with hopeful anticipation that some websites about adhesions would appear. Several adhesion websites did appear!!!

As I scanned through the websites, I saw the word Synechion and the name, David Wiseman; and I decided to take a look at the Synechion website. As I read the first few paragraphs of information about adhesions, I came to the place where I read that David Wiseman (Ph.D.) wanted people (who suffer from adhesions) to contact him by email if they were interested in the possibility of forming a support group.

So I decided to write to him. First, because his e-mail address was there; and second, because I had been seeing a psychologist - who was really supporting me during this very difficult time in my life. Her husband's name was David Wiseman -- and I wondered if there was a connection there; but, of course, I soon learned there wasn't. So I sent a very short email to him and told him I was desperate!! It wasn't too long before I received a short email from David - telling me to hang in there!! He said he was going to contact Beverly Doucette (Bev) and ask her to get in touch with me as soon as possible!!

The next day I received my first letter from Bev!! She encouraged me, she informed me, she helped me educate myself about this disease, she fought for me when I no longer had any energy left to fight for myself. Together we both fought for about a year with Alberta Health Care for them to allow me to go to Scranton, PA so Drs. Reich and Redan could do my surgery -- but with no success!!

Bev wouldn't let me give up there. Just as soon as one door got slammed in my face, Bev found another one to open!! Then one day Joanne Butman posted a message on the IAS Message Board. A good friend from Germany told Joanne about Dr. Korell - and the success he was having with laparoscopic adhesiolysis procedures. So Joanne made an appointment with Dr. Korell, applied for a passport, booked a flight from California to Dusseldorf (Germany) and eventually made the trip to Germany for surgery. Dr. Korell performed Joanne's adhesiolysis in March 2000; and ever since -- Joanne has had nothing but praise for Dr. Korell. Her pioneering experience in traveling from the USA to Germany for surgery -- plus all of the helpful information she shared on the IAS Message Board --- has helped to take the fear out of going to Germany for surgery..

When Bev read about Joanne's experience, she encouraged me to carefully consider the possibility of going to Germany for surgery. Bev told me she would go with me so I wouldn't have to travel alone and that she (as a former RN) wanted to be there to assist me as I was recovered from surgery. Bev's offer to accompany me to Germay was so unbelieveable!! I could hardly believe it!! Her willingness to help me - at the time of my darkest hour - reminded me about the poem, "Footprints in the Sand" by Mary Stevenson:

http://www.angelfire.com/co2/inspiration/footprints.html

Bev gave me enough confidence and strength to contact Dr. Korell to find out if he thought he could help me; and after sending my operative reports to Dr. Korell and exchanging several emails with him, Dr. Korell told me that he thought he could help me!! I needed to hear that; and I was filled with excitement about finally finding a surgeon, who had given me hope for brighter tomorrows!! Bev and I applied for our passports; and six weeks later (applying for and receiving a passport can take that long) we stepped off the plane in Germany.

Bev is still fighting for me to this day!! I want to thank Bev so much for all she has done to bring me to where I am today. If I hadn't found Bev, I can only imagine where I would be right now. I probably would have ended up by taking those sleeping pills. It was a most horrific situation for me at that time!! I was struggling to breathe, in horrible pain, unable to tolerate any kind of pain medication, unable to lie down in bed and rest -- and worst of all I did not know what on earth was wrong with me. I could write a book about what I have gone through to get to this point in my life!!!!

When I had my first surgery in Germany in July 17, 2000, I went into the operating room not knowing what to feel. I was very suspicious that maybe it (my constant pain) was "all in my head". I had been told that often enough!! When I woke up after my July 17, 2000 surgery, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had no pain!! When I look back now, I must have had some surgical pain because everyone does; but right after my surgery there was such a decrease in the intensity of the pain I had - compared to when I had been taken to the operating room. My post-surgical pain was minor - compared to the amount of pain I had before the surgery. I remember -- on my way from the operating room to my room - rolling from side to side and throwing my hands in the air. The nurses were scared to death. I don't think they had any idea what was going on.

This freedom from pain didn't last though; because on the third day after surgery my body started to react to the adhesion barrier, Intergel, which is supposed to prevent adhesions!! My entire abdomen was on fire -- or so it felt that way. I could feel the adhesions forming within my abdomen. This was confirmed by Dr. Korell when he did a second look laparoscopy a few days later. There was inflammation and large dense, vascular adhesions everywhere!!!

Even though my July 2000 was unsuccessful, I was not about to give up in my attempt to become free of adhesions - and the pain adhesions cause. Since then I've made two additional trips (in November 2000 and February 2001) to Germany for surgery. Dr. Korell applied Interceed for one of those surgeries; but my body rejected Interceed -- and again caused inflammation.

My recent surgery on April 11, 2002 is my fourth trip to Germany for surgery. Finally - with the use of SprayGel adhesion barrier - my body has not reacted; but with my past track record I wonder when and if my body will react to SprayGel. So far I've had no reaction at all to SprayGel!! I really didn't think it would be possible for any adhesion barrier to work for me; but now I have hope!! When Dr. Korell told me that more than 80% of the adhesions were gone -- on the one hand I was very excited - and on the other hand I was in a state of total disbelif. SprayGel really does work!! Finally, there is hope for adhesion sufferers!! With the use of SprayGel adhesion barrier, surgeons will be able to prevent other cases - like mine and yours - from existing. It is very important to remember though that not all surgeons are going to be able to have the success that Dr. Korell is having.

Surgeons have a lot to learn about adhesion related disease (ARD)!! The success of SprayGel - or any other adhesion barrier for that matter - is entirely dependent upon --- thesurgeon's knowledge regarding the causes and risks of adhesions --- his/her skill and experience with the use of the laparoscope --- the surgical techniques (such as aqua surgery, clot evacuation, etc.) that are being recognized as being essential for the success in preventing adhesions --- the necessary patience required of the surgeon for lengthy adhesiolysis procedures, etc.

In addition to these critical elements the surgeon needs to undergo special training in how to apply SprayGel adhesion barrier -- or any other adhesion barrier -- correctly; so the patient will have the best chance for an adhesion-free and pain-free life.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: