Lillian & Karla from Sally

Tue Apr 30 16:24:16 2002

Come on dear friends, we have to get a tougher skin. If we can deal with the pain we have all the time we can deal with misunderstandings and sometimes criticism. Some people have left the board over the last few years, and I hope its because they are cured, but I'm afraid that it is because they have sunk into a lonely hole of pain and isolation because they felt like they were not getting any help here on the board. And sometimes people just don't have the time with families and jobs, etc.

We are all only human. We can not always respond when people need us. We can try. We can also give honest answers. Maybe its not what people want to hear, but we say it as it is. That's all we can do. People are the same everywhere. I don't understand it and it hurts my feelings, but I have to learn to grow up I guess.

For example, a man called for a reservation at the Inn for last Saturday night. I'm glad I took the reservation, instead of one of my helpers, because I never would have believed it. I told him straight out that we were a ranch, had farm animals, were working on some old barn buildings, and were very old. The buildings, not me of course LOL. Anyway he gets here and is arrogant and appalled. We are an old farm, how could this be? He wrote the Chamber of Commerce saying we were not "normal" and something nefarious was happening here because we obviously were not a Bed and Breakfast. I don't know what he thought was happening? A smuggling ring? Why did we have all these rooms with beds and a big dining room if we weren't a B&B? Why was the parking lot filled with cars? etc.etc.etc. But you see what I mean. The Chamber wrote him back, saying they had stayed here and found it lovely. But the point is that his view was so abnormal that he hurt my feelings.

Now how should I deal with this? Cry, holler, write him back or just forget it and carry on. I'm certainly not going to self-destruct and give up my little piece of Heaven on earth because one man doesn't listen and has blinders on. And we on the board have to learn to do the same.

Sometimes someone will write something criticizing a friend and I want to write back a vicious letter, but I don't. Because two wrongs do not make a right. They never have and they never will.

So, ladies, please don't let anybody add to your pain be being a jerk. You are both wonderful and I need you. Not some amorphous stranger out there, but me, Sally Grigg, I need you both for those moments when I'm so down and everything looks black and I talk to you and I can go on. So please, please stay with us. Love and caring hugs, Sally

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: