Re: Can I share...found relief from new med

Mon May 6 16:29:07 2002

Marilyn, It hasn't been easy to get the adequate relief that I am now getting. I did not receive ANY medication until three years ago when I first found out about adhesions. At that time Bev and I got together and we met with my physician. We took with us a copy of the Patients Rights that is found on the ASAP site and we demanded adequate relief. When I appeared and the doctor saw that I was educated as to my rights as well as about adhesions he was much more ready to offer medication to deal with the pain. I didn't start out right away with the MS Contin....I think I started with Oxycodone maybe even less. When that was ineffective I went to the duragesic patch. When I finally was on the 100 patch I found it very effective (I had started with 25 then 50, 75 and finally 100) but then I suffered a severe bout of depressed respiration and I was taken off. I don't know what I was taking...perhaps the Oxycontin which wasn't very effective...finally the hospital pharmacist persuaded my doctor to give me the MS Contin. He wouldn't follow the pharmacist's advice though....he would only give me 15mg's which is below the minimum recommended dose. It was finally his refusal to give me more....and his making major mistakes in my treatment that had me leaving him and finding a much better physician. This new one has at least upped my doses to 60mgs three times a day. Well, actually he didn't...when I got sick in California doctors there did...but he kept it. He didn't like the fact that they gave me liquid morphine for the break through pain...but oh well. Its a matter of standing tough and demanding the pain relief that you need. If you don't get it you find someone who will. Karla Marilyn Vaughan <mavaughan@iastate.edu> wrote: I've found relief from being on neurontin too. I'm so grateful after being in such pain for the last year and a half. I still have some bad days during the month, but I'm able to cope much better than when I was having pain all the time. I know after reading messages from others that neurontin doesn't help everybody. But if you haven't tried it, it might be worth investigating.

This site is wonderful. I've learned a lot from searching the Net on my own, but the combined forces of having people here share what they've learned is empowering. Thanks, Helen, for your frequent posts.

One thing that surprises me is how women have been able to find doctors willing to prescribe narcotics for severe pain. Doctors seem very reluctant here in Iowa to go that route.

If you have a chance, read the article in the latest Health magazine about the Bergman family who sued the family doctor for not providing adequate pain management for their dying father.

Marilyn

At Sun, 5 May 2002, Dawn wrote: >
>Hi all,
>This sight is a godsend. You are all brave and wonderful. I just
>wanted to share my good fortune with you. I have always avoided pain
>meds other than asprin as they make my bowel problem so much worse...not
>worth it.
>My GI doc just perscribed Neuronton (sp?) which is an epilepsy drug.
>Non- narcotic ( thought it does leave you a bit swimmy). REALLY helps
>me with the pain of adhesions and endo. Why did'nt they think of this
>years ago???
>Not pain free but so much better. My uerogyns want to place a neuro
>stimulator in my back ???? I am skeptical but keeping an open mind.
>Best wishes to you all,
>Dawn

Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: