To Flick Re: what is the best route for healing ard

Tue Jun 11 08:36:53 2002

Hi Flick:

I know a man (my auto mechanic, actually), who has had 4 bowel resections in his life. He went to a renowned hospital here in Toronto for his last surgery about 3-4 years ago. After the operation, the surgeon explained to him about massive adhesions, and that they had done everything they could at that point for him. The Dr told him that in his opinion, every time Mike had another obstruction that necessitated surgery, the situation would worsen, and that unfortunately every time they lysed adhesions they also had to resect more bowel, and vice versa.

He recommended that Mike quit smoking, watch his diet closely, and exercise. He was sort of chubby, and I believe that in two years he lost 50+ lbs. He is now a long distance cyclist, and he keeps telling me that if I can get through the first awful period of pain from the exercise that I will find a wonderful world of difference. Mike tells me that once you get to the point of a good consistant cardiovascular workout, the pain sort of diminishes.

I'm a bit chicken, so I've been trying to do more and more as I am able. Flick, the fact that you CAN go hiking is great - I can only go for a walk or do small bits of gardening/housework etc. I can imagine that a lot of those who read this will be skeptical (as I am) but you really should see this guy and the change in him over the last 5 years. Years ago he looked sort of puffy and was sickly all the time. Now he's one of the healthiest people I know!

I hope this info helps someone.

Wishing you all pain free moments, hours and days.

--
Clare

At Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Flick Rahke wrote: > >Hi everyone this is Flick here. I posted a few times a while back. I >had the laprascopic gallbladder removal a year and a half ago and still >feel a lot of discomfort all over my abdomen. i feel like I am stuffed >full of tight rubber bands and rubber knots that pull when I try to >exercise or stretch. My digestion and elimination seem fine. I am not >in any severe pain but am still pretty uncomfortable with these constant >tight sensations. They do get feeling inflamed after even going for a >hike. This is a real drag for me, because I was a pro dancer and an >avid surfer before this surgery. I don't want to take pain meds, >because I just came off a horrible addiciton and withdrawal from >tranquilizers I took for anxiety after this botched surgery and >non-healing. The pulling even extends to the left of my naval where the >small laprascopic scars are. the surgeon who did the operation won't >even discuss it with me. I am afraid to get another surgery to try to >correct this, since surgery caused it to start with. I am willing to >try it though if there would be a good chance that the uncomfortable >sensations would go away and I could dance and surf again. Does >adhesion surgery, if it is successful, allow one to exercise vigorously >again like in dancing or surfing without causing discomfort afterwards, >or is this a completely hopeless situation? I know many in this group >are in much worse pain than me, but it has still ruined the quality of >my life and gotten me very depressed and anxious. I would much rather >correct the problem that is causing the depression and anxiety than take >pills to mask them. In fact, I can't take pills, because I am too >sensitive to the side effects. >I don't want to have another surgery to correct the adhesions if it >would make things even worse or give me a bowell obstuction or >something. I can afford to see the best surgeon for this, whoever or >wherever they may be. Is Germany and Dr. Korrell really the best shot? >i talked to Dr. Gerhart in Pa. and he wants to see a copy of my >surgical report, to see if he can figure if I really have adhesions. Is >it possible to have just some sort of tight scarring that feels >uncomfortable that is not really adhesions? This is all very confusing >and scarey for me. I have been getting a deep tissue therapy called >myofascial release therapy. It feels like it sort of stretches the >scarring out. has anyone ever heard of this and if it can be effective? >Someone from the group wrote me and said that there is no massage >therapy that can be effective for this. supposedly only surgery can >work. Sorry for the long post. I am just venting and fishing for some >hopeful answers. Best to all Flick > >-- >flick1@earthlink.net >

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: