FDA...Medication Mistakes and Your Liver...

Mon Jul 22 12:10:22 2002

Because this very brief article contains some very enlightening information about "Medication Mistakes and Your Liver", I decided it was important enough to post a second time.

Remember, the advice at the following website is provided by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)!!

X> Medication Mistakes and Your Liver...Scroll DOWN to the title of this article to read this important information::

"It is important to follow drug-prescribing requirements carefully and completely to avoid exceeding a drug's recommended dose or duration of use. Mixing certain medications together or with alcohol also can cause liver failure..."

"The FDA encourages consumers to learn the signs of liver disease..."

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/301_liver.html

~ ~ ~ ~

If you are concerned about any of the drugs you are currently taking, there is a way to know for sure if you are receiving enough - or a toxic level - of the drugs that have been prescribed for you.

For example:

In January 1997 I decided to seek help from a psychiatrist, who specializes in medication management. Since I was a new patient, she gave me a prescription to give to my doctor. The purpose of the prescription was to ask my doctor to request that a blood level be drawn to check my current blood level of Amitriptyline.

Prior to my initial appointment with my psychiatrist - and for several years - I had been prescribed 225 mgs of Amitriptyline. Now here is the shocker!! As a result of having my blood level checked, I learned for the very first time that I was getting a toxic level of Amitriptyline. My blood level of Amitriptyline was 525 mgs - A VERY TOXIC LEVEL!!

If you read the message I posted yesterday, you read the following quotation from the magazine - AARP Modern Maturity: " Most medical schools do NOT mandate courses for pain management. Less than one percent (1%) of the content of medical textbooks is devoted to symptoms such as pain." Is it any wonder then, why so many people are suffering from inadequate medication?

Psychiatrists (who specialize in medication management) and anesthesiologists are the medical professionals, who are best qualified to prescribe pain medications. They have received far more training (than medical doctors) in the use of pain medications and other pain management techniques.

Most of you know that I'm not a Medical Professional; and I don't pretend to be one. I am merely sharing what I have learned as the result of having lived with the chronic pain since February 1970.

I hope that I will be able to encourage each one of you to:

Start to Take Charge of Your Life!!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: