Can a hernia surgery be done laparoscopically?

Wed Aug 7 21:39:45 2002

Dear Cathy, I am not a medical professional; but I am very concerned about your daughter's upcoming hernia surgery. Do you have the answers to the following questions?

1.) Does her surgeon plan to perform an open abdominal procedure (laparotomy) or a laparoscopy?

2.) It is very important that an adhesion barrier is applied!! Have you discussed this with her surgeon - and does he/she plan to use an adhesion barrier?

3.) If so, what is the name of the adhesion barrier?

4.) A CT-scan of her abdomen is a very important before she has surgery!! Has she had a CT-scan?

5.) Have you read Karla Nygren's Adhesions Quilt story? If not, I urge you to do so.

Adhesions form after EVERY surgery; because adhesions are the way the human body heals and protects itself. This is a completely natural and normal process!!

If the surgeon doesn't use special techniques to prevent trauma to the abdominal/pelvic cavity - and if he/she doesn't apply an adhesion barrier - it is very likely that more adhesions will form. An increase in adhesions will cause an increase pain!!

The following letter is from Dr. Jay Redan, who is a General Surgeon at Scranton, PA - who has developed techniques that reduce the trauma to the body and help to prevent the formation of adhesions. He is one of the very few surgeons in the United States, who is having success with the prevention of adhesions.

~ ~ ~ ~

>----- Original Message -----; From: Jay Redan ; To: Helen Dynda ; Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 10:05 PM ; Subject: Re: Can a hernia surgery be done laparoscopically?

Dear Helen, This is a controversial topic!! I used to perform all my hernia repairs laparoscopically. When I analyzed my data--as well as many of my colleagues--we agree laparoscopy is NOT the best way to repair a hernia: inguinal or incisional or ventral.

Most people who repair hernias laparoscopically are NOT experienced laparoscopic surgeons; and use this technique as a gimmick to attract patients and are not looking at the higher recurrence rate, increased cost and increased anesthesia time. Take poor Mr. Joe Gibbons as a tragic example of a botched laparoscopic hernia repair--and his hernia still was not repaired!! I'm sure you get the point!!

Literature reviews for Dr. Fitzgibbons (president of the Hernia Society and past president of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons) say that Dr. Fitzgibbons does not perform laparoscopic hernias anymore; and he is a well established laparoscopist.

To answer your question: Yes, hernias can be repaired laparoscopically; but this is clearly not the best way. In your husband's case I use what is called a * Stoppa repair * with an adhesion barrier called * Dual-Mesh * by Gore-Tex. This is the ONLY product that DOES NOT form adhesions to the bowel--used ONLY for Incisional or Ventral Hernia repairs. I would be glad to help him out, if he would like. A CT-scan of his abdomen and pelvis is a must pre-op to check for the Swiss-Cheese abdomen you hear about.

Sincerely, Jay Redan

I hope you will take my message seriously - and seek answers to any questions - any questions at all - that you may have about your daughter's hernia surgery.

Helen

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: