Re: Adhesions and diet/excercise

Tue Aug 13 10:16:41 2002

Hi Anon:

Welcome to the IAS forum. I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

Diet: Most people find that a soft diet works best, especially those who are on narcotics for pain management. One of the drawbacks with a soft diet is that it is sometimes difficult to get a proper balance of nutrients.

I am lucky that I can eat a somewhat regular diet, including small salads if I cut them small and chew well. I also take a small amount of Metamucil daily, and although this helps, I now have to be careful with it. I am finding that sometimes with a salad it is too much fibre, although most days it still works great. Diet for adhesion sufferers is really just trial and error - attempting to balance nutrition with comfort. Regardless of what works best, the kindest thing that you can do for yourself is drink water, water, water!!

Exercise: My personal belief is that the more you can do, the better it is for you. Exercise really depends on the level of pain that you are in at a particular time. I walk my dog every day - for a minimum of half an hour. On bad days it's a very slow, excruciating walk, and on good days it's an enjoyment. Yes, there are days I can't do it at all.

If you think you can do situps, then perhaps try only a few easy ones and see how it goes. On really good days I'll admit I've thought about sit ups, but to be honest I'm too scared. I know what a good blast of vaccuming can do, so I tend to be cautious now. I've had 3 surgeries in 2 years, so the exercise thing is something I'm working my way into. If you haven't had surgery since you were 9, you may be able to do much more than I can. I strongly believe that for those with adhesions who can do some exercise it helps.

I am not a Dr, so this info is just from my personal experience. I do hope that it helps you. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Best wishes.

At Tue, 13 Aug 2002, anonymous wrote: >
>I have recently been informed that I have adhesions on my intestines
>resulting from 2 operations that I had when I was 5 and 9 years old. I
>am now 33. I do not have to have them operated on at this stage but the
>pain and sickness that I have recently suffered is something that I
>never want to experience again! I was wondering if anyone knew what
>foods I should not eat/eat, and if exercise such as aerobics (including
>excerices like sit ups) would help or hinder. I would really appreciate
>any comments. Mank thanks.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: