Adhesions and inflammatory processes - is there a link?

Wed Aug 14 17:13:00 2002

Hi everyone:

Okay, so now I'm wondering...(oh, oh, I know...) :o).

This is probably a question for that someone who's done lots more research than I have, like Helen D or Bev, or perhaps one of you gals (Sally?) has asked this question of your Dr.

I read somewhere (I read way too much, LOL) that some Drs believe that adhesions that become problematic could be avoided by the use of strong anti-inflammatory meds immediately after surgery, with a continued use for a short period of time afterwards. My memory isn't too great on this one, but I think it said two weeks or so, with full patient compliance. The simplified version of this theory is that problematic adhesions may be aggravated by an inflammatory process. I noticed this article because out of three surgeries I had performed by the same surgeon, he only prescribed an anti-inflammatory med after one of them, with instructions to "only take when necessary for pain".

Before my laparotomy in 2000, I had slight arthritis pain. Immediatly following the surgery, I had numbness, tingling and more arthritic pain mainly on the right side of my body. Now the arthritis is fairly bad, enough that I'm to see a rheumatologist soon, and I'm attempting to learn to write with my left hand, as some days I can only use my thumb and next finger and can't hold a pen let alone anything else. The arthitis meds helped the left side of my body but not the right, which I know makes no sense.

So, does anyone know if there is a link between adhesions and inflammatory processes? Or, could there be nerve dammage that presents as arthritis with swelling of joints etc? Sally, I saw your post that you are having trouble with your hands, and I wondered was it arthritis or nerve damage and if you've discussed this with your Dr? I know a lot of you gals have problems with your legs, so I'm hoping someone has answers to my questions.

Wishing you all pain free moments, hours and days.

--
Clare

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: