Clinical Trial (Part 2)

Mon Oct 7 12:20:06 2002

Her response Dear Lori, Thanks for getting back to me. The trial has been running for approx. 18mths at this stage. From your previous email, I agree that you appear to meet the criteria for our trial, but as I mentioned, I am concerned about the distance and the logistics that this entails. The out of pocket expense will depend on what your medical insurance status is.The procedure is done at both a pubic and private hospital. The patients that we are recruiting are those patients who are in current need of surgery and have been referred to one of our surgeons. We do not cover any transport or accommodation costs with this trial. We do cover the cost of some of the tests eg. blood test and ECG (EKG) that will be required 4 times during the trial. The actual cost of surgery will need to be discussed with the particular surgeon that you make contact with, as it may vary between doctors. I will give you the contact numbers of 2 of the surgeons involved in the trial who are currently in Brisbane. Dr. Les. Nathanson 38707172 (Aust) Dr. Nicolas O'Rourke 38767455 (Aust) You may like to discuss this further with them, but please understand my hesitation in regards to the distance that you are talking about travelling.

(My Response) Hi Kym, Thank you for getting back with me so quickly.

I just wanted to let you know that I do have the resources to get me over there and accomadations to stay there for the 5 months. It wont be easy, but I can do it.

The distance is the LEAST of my worries, as I see it....If I dont give this a try, then I am at fault. I am not worried about getting over there and then nothing can be done for me. If that happens, I can accept that. I have had no help in the states for 9 months now, I have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain.

I am going to make some calls today, to your doctors, to my insurance company. The only thing I see stopping me at this point would be my insurance. But let me make a few calls and see what I can do.

Please keep a spot open for me until I can find out one way or another if this can be done. I understand your concerns about the distance, but that is the LEAST of my worries, I know quite a few people in Brisbane that could possibly help me out with this.

I will get back with you later today and let you know if I found anything out.

********* So where should I go now? Contacting insurance company? Contacting their doctors first? I'm not sure about accomodations and traveling costs

--
there, but I figured if I can get everything else set up, I could find a
way to stay there for 5 months.

Thank you for your input Warm Painfree Huggz Lori

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: