Adhesion formation, the process and time element of adhesion formation...Excellent!!

Mon Nov 11 23:53:45 2002

Adhesion formation, the process and time element of adhesion formation...by Beverly Doucette

While attending the March 2001 Medical Symposium on Post Surgical Adhesions held in Detroit, Michigan, a short, but informative discussion was held on the structure of adhesion tissue. Based on research that was completed by a number of Drs, it was stated that "nerve" cells have been discovered within adhesion tissue; however, it was not conclusive whether those nerve cells actually generate pain or sensations of feeling.

Large vascular adhesions can develop in the course of 5-7 days. I have seen some research data regarding "vascular" adhesions; but it doesn't discuss whether that type of adhesion generates pain differently to the ARD sufferer than dense filmy adhesion attachments would.

I know this type of adhesion doesn't continue to grow or expand; because the tissue composition of a vascular adhesion is still adhesion tissue predominently. They are larger and thicker than other adhesions; and in my opinion, I think an adhesion of this magnitude would increase the pain and suffering to the adhesion-former - simply due to its size.

Once an adhesion is formed (no matter the type) it doesn't expand or grow. I have NOT seen any research to substantiate any difference in how one type of adhesion affects the sufferer versus another type. A vascular adhesion (as with dense filmy adhesions) can cause lots of medical problems for the person who has them. One adhesion type is no different than the other; because all adhesions are destructive and infringing on the organs they attach to.

I don't think it makes any difference what type of adhesion one is found to have. ARD is a very infringing, destructive and horrible disease - and not a competition between who has what type of adhesions or who had more - nor who had a longer surgery - nor how many surgeries, etc. It is simply horrible for anyone who suffers from adhesions. I am not telling you anything new. You have it. You're suffering; and on top of it all you have few options in securing effective medical treatment!! To me, that is the saddest situation of all for anyone who suffers from this disease.

I am somewhat impressed with the number of researchers throughout the world who APPEAR to be working on a solution for ARD. It is a slow, cumbersome process; but it is progress because they are trying to find a resolution for ARD.

I am actually shocked to see that ARD (or post surgical adhesions) IS pretty well known in the medical arena; and yet today (2001) we are hearing that those who suffer from ARD are still fighting for recognition of their suffering, fighting for respect from their personal medical care provider. My God, not only respect, but some semblance of being treated like a person who IS suffering!! This area of ARD never ceases to amaze me. I see on the one hand that ARD IS known in many medical facitlities, ARD IS printed in many medical journals, and discussed at many medical meetings and symposiums. Yet when a suffering person tries to seek help for the suffering of ARD, they are treated like freaks and hypochondriacs - yet today!!

THIS is a real problem that needs to be discussed and resolved; and it is this problem that can be changed by the ARD sufferer becoming educated on ARD - so that when they do seek medical intervention for themselves, they can stand up to any medical care provider and state what they are seeking that day from that provider. They can be well informed on ARD, they can bring information (from the IAS site or anywhere else) to their Dr. and deal with the facts of ARD.

Knowledge will empower the ARD sufferer; because the way things are today within the medical arena (in regard to ARD) it all comes down to the patient becoming their own best Dr.! Each ARD sufferer can make a difference in how they are received in the medical community by being responsible for their own treatment; and I don't mean only the physical aspects of the treatment. Become more informed than your Dr; and though you will still suffer the indignities of ARD, you will have done something for yourself. If nothing else happened in the doctor's office, YOU have taken a stand!

I think it is important for every ARD sufferer to schedule "a consultation appointment" with their medical care provider - to sit down and discuss their medical condition and share information on ARD at the same time. This will offer an opportunity for the ARD sufferer to not only offer their position on their disease, but also to hear their medical care provider's position on ARD.

The ARD sufferer may elect to change providers simply based on what they hear in the consultation. Think about how that could benefit the ARD sufferer who really doesn't even know what their care provider understands, is aware of - or anything else surrounding ARD - let alone their provider's personal opinion of ARD!! The ARD sufferer might be going to a provider who simply refuses to change his/her opinion of adhesions, or one who simply has his/her mind made up that adhesion do not cause problems - regardless of research.

Some people do not believe that adhesions are formed within 5-7 days; and that they do not continue to form after that. A Dr. might elect not to see ARD for what it really presents. See the analogy here? A Dr. "ELECTS" what he wants to believe; and at times a Dr. will actually really know the facts of the matter; BUT if they agree that there IS a valid problem, they are expected to fix it or treat it - and with ARD that is not an easy prospect to accomplish! After all, an ARD sufferer is considered to be, "a Dr.'s worst walking nightmare!!" (I sort of like that idea - especially for any Drs. who treated me in an insulting way!! )

So often the person sees their attending physician only when they are very ill, in lots of pain and are seeking medical intervention. At that appointment. they might be too emotional or respond in anger if not received with dignity by that Dr - or simply feel intimidated by that Dr. - if he/she is one who doesn't respect the ARD sufferer; and then the ARD sufferer doesn't accomplish what he/she intended to accomplish at that appoinment! It is so very important for the ARD sufferer to empower themselves with as much "ammo" (education about ARD) as they can when presenting to a Dr. appointment with issues pertaining to their ARD.

ARD sufferers can do this by educating themselves about their disease, by what they can expect from their attending physicians at a specific appointment, and they CAN and SHOULD expect their attending physician to be updated on current medical issues and advancements within the medical society - and that includes the sciences of "Adhesion Related Disorder!!"

There IS no excuse for a medical care provider NOT to avail themselves to listen to and discuss all aspects of the medical condition their patients present to them with. NO excuse at all for not being acclimated and informed about ARD!! But it is ultimately the total responsibility of the patient to make sure they have done everything they can to acclimate their Dr. to their needs and wants! This way the ARD sufferer knows that the Dr. is aware of ARD, that the Dr. does understand their needs regarding treatment of their symproms and in the manner the ARD sufferer expects to be received when they do present to the medical care provider with ARD symptoms. No more put downs, put offs, disrespectfull treament, intimidation, or simply feeling like the Dr. doesn't care about them. Once the ARD sufferer realizes that they have tried everything they can to educate their medical care provider to ARD -- and if they still are treated in an ill-mannered way by that attending provider -- they can be assured that it is the attitude of that provider (not that the provider really cannot help them; BUT...that they are electing NOT to help them.)

Maybe all the pain and suffering will not be eased by a provider; but as long as we feel they really care about us as a patient and will listen to us as a patient and offer to trouble shoot on resolving - to the best of that provider's ability - the ARD as it presents itself, we can have and should expect to have a postive outcome when presenting to our medical care provider!

It is one thing for you, the ARD sufferer, to question issues surrounding your disease. That is a good thing. You question them because you are looking for answers about your disease; and if those questions can be answered with factual information, research, etc., then you have been educated in one more area of your disease. This might not take your pain and suffering away, but it will empower YOU with knowledge of your disease: the what's, how and why's of your suffering from that disease; and YOU can then share your knowledge with others !

I commend your search for knowledge and understanding of your ARD. I wish you the best in securing a healthier future. Never give up!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: