Re: some advice please?/Clare

Fri Dec 13 16:12:42 2002

Linda, I have seen several articles that describe all of the non-surgical things you can do to control heavy periods. Probably in links that Helen Dynda has posted!

First of all there are at least 2 versions of procedures that kill off the lining of the uterus without actually doing anything surgical. I know that in one of them they insert a balloon in the uterus and fill it with hot water. The heat kills a lot of the cells, and many women stop having periods or go down to bare spotting.

Another technique is to take birth control pills starting a new pack every 3 weeks so that you don't have a period. You do need to have a period every so often, but doctors seem to think that once a year is just fine. This only costs $20/month vs $400. I have a friend with endo whose doctor was pushing her to take lupron, which has some pretty serious side effects. She convinced the doc to let her try the continuous pills first, and was very happy with the results. The continuous pills had all of the advantages of lupron with none of the serious side effects.

This site is populated by women who've gone straight from the frying pan and into the fire when they had hysterectomies. There is one huge overriding advantage of taking pills, or the balloon procedure -- if they don't work you can always have surgery later. If the pills have bad side effects you can stop taking them. But if the hysterectomy makes things worse it's not like they can go and put your parts back in!

At Thu, 12 Dec 2002, linda garcia wrote: >I Have hired a personal injury lawyer to go after one of the docs that helped deliver the last baby. she was the assistant. They had to remove adhesions after delivery, and she knew this. when the baby was about 4 months old I went to the ER, The docs must have called her, she came in the room and yelled I think you are addicted to narcotics. flat out. She put this in my records so it is following me around and making it hard to get meds. Should I go for it. The lawyer thinks I have a case any input?

I think that this is an excellent idea for several reasons. First of all, you get a court order to have this removed from your records and a restraining order to stop this doctor from lying about you in the future. Also, having a lawsuit where it was settled as a point of fact that you are in serious pain gives legal protection to those doctors who do treat your pain. Thirdly, if you end up with a monetary settlement you can use it to get treatment that you otherwise could not afford. (For example, sue for $1 million, settle for $20,000, lawyer gets 1/3, and you still have plenty of money to go to Germany.)

--
cathy :-)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: